Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Friday, October 27, 2006

Hotties and Movies

Last week I went to see two movies that opened on the 20th. That Friday, I went to see The Prestige, starring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, and Scarlett Johansson. The movie was okay, but the final act seemed to drag on and on and on. The acting was very good, and the story is well thought-out and well developed (even though some major elements reminded me of the book I was reading at the time, Whispers), even though one of the surprises is kind of obvious. Still, if I have to choose between The Prestige and The Illusionist, another movie with magicians and a ridiculously gorgeous actress, I'll choose the latter. Sorry, Scarlett, but Jessica beats you this time.
Then, on Sunday, I went to see Marie Antoinette, written and directed by Sofia Coppola, and starring Kirsten Dunst. And I gotta say the movie was horrendous. I mean, truly abysmal. It was so bad I'm still angry at wasting my time and money. Kirsten Dunst looks gorgeous (not to Nacho, as we very well know), but the director tries so hard to convey how monotonous and boring Marie Antoinette life was, that she in fact succeeds swimmingly: the audience is as bored as the French queen is, if not more. The movie is 1 hour and 58 minutes long, but I swear it felt like three hours. At some point, I started to seriously consider walking out of the theater, but I kept hoping the end would be close. But it was never close enough. So please don't waste your time and hard-earned money on this crap. Really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advice. As we've said you time after time: a good looking woman doesn't guarantee a good movie. But you keep hitting your head against the wall.
In Scarlett Johansson's defense: it's not a shame to lose against someone such as Jessica Biel. It's more like an honor.

Mario Alba said...

Ah, Scarlett and Jessica. And talking about Scarlett, you're gonna like my next post, hehehe. (Not the one about comic books, mind you, but the one after that one.)