Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Offspring Favorites

Not too long ago I wrote a post about The Offspring's new album, coming out in early 2008. Well, since they're one of my favorite bands (if not my favorite), I thought I could write a post with my favorite songs by the Californian band. So I got started, but quickly discovered this was a hard, painful process. The reason? That I happen to like pretty much all their songs, and love most of them. So I went through my collection trying to be as discriminating as possible… and kind of managed to do it. A disclaimer first, though. I do not own their first two albums yet (the self-titled CD and Ignition), so this list only contains songs from Smash, Ixnay on the Hombre, Americana, Conspiracy of One, Splinter, and the Greatest Hits compilation. Oh, and something else: I’ve linked as many official videos as I’ve been able to. If no video was released, I tried to find live performances, but sometimes I had to resort to fan videos, so bear with me (at least you can listen to the whole songs). Ready? Let's go.

1. The Meaning of Life
Amazing lyrics. Amazing beat. Amazing song.
2. Want You Bad
Funny as hell and amazing beat and guitar riffs.
3. One Fine Day
Funny as hell and amazing beat and guitar riffs. Again.
4. Smash
I truly love this song's fantastic lyrics. I really do.
5. Americana
Talk about great lyrics dripping sarcasm and an amazing beat to boot. A terrific song.
6. Spare Me the Details
One of their funniest songs, it's not as fiendishly fast as some of their other songs, but I love it. The lyrics crack me up every time.
7. Million Miles Away
Great, great guitar riffs and beat. I could listen to this song for hours.
8. Hit That
Another song dripping with sarcasm that depicts relationships in this day and age. It never fails to make me laugh.
9. Can't Repeat
Terrific guitars playing here. Noodles rules!
10. All I Want
This has to be one of their fastest songs, and with phenomenal lyrics! It reminds me of what Dexter sings about in both Smash and The Meaning of Life: rules to live your life by.

But let's imagine I didn't have enough with only ten songs (they're so short anyway) and wanted to add another ten, just to make things just a little bit more fun. Then I guess I would choose the following songs:

11. Staring at the Sun
Another furiously paced song with cool lyrics. I could just say the same about all the songs on this list!
12. Lightning Rod
Amazing beat and guitars, and dark, bitter lyrics combine in this great song.
13. Self Esteem
One of their first hit singles, everybody knows this song. Their signature tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic lyrics are well displayed here. Classic.
14. Bad Habit
The greatest song about road rage ever made. Fun!
15. Why Don't You Get a Job?
Another song that makes me laugh until I cry every time I listen to it. Priceless!
16. The Kids Aren't Alright
This song is kind of sad and the lyrics are not very hopeful, but the guitars are amazing. Actually, the song's opening reminds me of the Buffy credits song. Cool!
17. (Can't Get My) Head Around You
More sad lyrics in a great, furious song that you can't help but love.
18. The Noose
Another song that competes for the fastest Offspring song ever. Try to bop your head while listening to it, and see if you don't end up with a wild headache.
19. No Brakes
An angry song with ultrafast beat. What's there not to like?
20. What Happened to You
Funny, sarcastic, and upbeat: this song has it all.

I know I'm missing awesome (and better known) songs such as Gotta Get Away or Come Out and Play, but, as I said, this was a difficult exercise. And hey, this is my list, so I can have as many entries as I please, can't I? That's what I thought.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gran grupo The Offspring, sin duda. Por lo cual me da bastante reparo cuando veo que conozco muy pocas de las canciones incluidas en el Top Ten. Por no hablar ya del Top Twenty (y morirás tramposo, Fel :P ).

En resumen, que conozco las que todo el mundo:Americana, Smash, Hit That, WDYGaJ...
Así que, repito aquí lo que dije respecto a aquel post sobre Stephen King: "me tomo este post de hoy como fuente obligada de consulta". Pues so. :)

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Las canciones que conoce todo el mundo me gustan, pero como suele pasarte cuando algo te gusta mucho, al final tu parte favorita de ese lo que sea siempre acaba siendo lo que menos gente conoce: personajes secundarios en películas, obras menores de escritores, canciones que nunca fueron single... Como ya dije, sería más fácil hacer una lista con las canciones que no me gustan o no me gustan mucho, porque no habría más que un puñado. Y aun así haría trampa ;)

Anonymous said...

¿Será como La Macarena, que daba asco de escucharla siempre a todas horas? ¿O es que esa canción ya da asco de por si? ¿La culpa de todo la tiene Yoko Ono?

O quizás todo es más simple y se reduce a lo que bien apuntas, Fel: "al final tu parte favorita de ese lo que sea siempre acaba siendo lo que menos gente conoce". Bien expresado.

PD.- A ver si algún día hacemos un post recuerdo con esas grandes canciones de nuestra adolescencia: La Macarena, El Tractor Amarillo, El Venao, el tartamudo Scatman John... :\

Mario Alba said...

Vaya lista de clásicos te has sacado así de la manga, Hal. Tiemblo sólo de pensar en un post dedicado a tales atentados contra el buen gusto.

Anonymous said...

Pues no sé si me atrevería, la verdad. Ya veremos.
Pero, sólo por si acaso, id tiritando un poco... ;P

Mario Alba said...

Qué miedo me das, hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Las canciones, que por fin pude escucharlas, molan en su conjunto. Aunque todas son muy parecidas, con su ritmo frenético, guitarreo inconfundible, y letras que suelen hablar de lo injusta que es esta sociedad, que te intenta imponer una forma de pensar y de actuar.

Las letras, por cierto, molan mucho. Por el mensaje, sí, pero sobre todo porque son muy buenas. Rimas ingeniosas, frases simples, frescas y directas. Recién sacadas de la calle. Jeje. No me había fijado nunca.

El video de The Kids Aren't Alright se sale. Así, por destacar algo concreto.

Pero lo que me ha tocado la fibra han sido las canciones de Smash, que escuché y reescuché allá por mi adolescencia.
He gozado como un enano cuando he vuelto a ver el video de Self Esteem (y ni me acordaba de que a Dexter lo conocí con rastas).
A ver si ahora me pongo a escuchar Nirvana, Guns 'N Roses, INXS, Aerosmith... o todos a la vez para que me de un síncope de recuerdos de instituto. :)