Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

New Year, New Comics

I realized two things after reading my newest batch of comics. One, that many of them sucked (more on that in a second). And two, that I am going to wait until I have several issues (if not the whole run) of a title before I read them. I read so much that keeping track of what goes on from one month to the next becomes almost impossible, and it is hard to maintain any interest or enthusiasm if it feels like you're starting from zero every month. With that said, let's see what I have to say about this month's comic books.

First Born #3
At last I got to find out how things turned out for Sara and her as of now newborn baby. The conclusion of the three-issue limited series was good, and the artwork by Stjepan Sejic was very cool as usual.

Iron and the Maiden #0
I have cared less and less for this book as the issues have been coming out. This is the last one, and even though the artwork is good, I really couldn't bring myself to care about the irrelevant story that is told. I am certainly not getting the next IATM miniseries coming out soon. Sorry.

World of Warcraft #2
I confess that I was sick when I read this, but its badness boggled my mind (or maybe it was the cold). The thing is, the artwork seemed worse than in the first issue, and the story coldn't hold my interest for more than one page at a time. I'm giving it a couple more issues, then I'll read those four, and if I'm still meh about it, I'll drop it.

Madame Mirage #4
Kenneth Rocafort's artwork was, as usual, gorgeous. Paul Dini's story was also good. However, I kept feeling a bit lost, maybe because I didn't have a clue how issue three ended. I really need to re-read those issues, because I do like this series.

Witchblade #112
This is supposed to be my favorite book, but it was so awful that I am still angry. Ron Marz's story about a threat to Sara's newborn child is not exactly mesmerizing, but the worst part by far was Rick Leonardi's "art". The artwork is so horribly, horribly awful that I almost cried blood when I was reading the comic book. In fact, the pictures were so abysmally bad, so grotesquely horrid, that I really couldn't enjoy the story because of the visuals. Why does Leonardi draw with his pen up his ass? I think he would do better if he used his hand instead. And if you tell me he was actually using his hand, I'm simply not going to believe you. Rick Leonardi's artwork is the worst thing to happen to Witchblade in the last 12 issues. Furthermore: it probably is the worst thing to have happened to Witchblade ever. I don't own every issue of the series, but it is hard to imagine worse pictures. Only two things kept me reading. One, the knowledge that he was only raping this issue and not the next one. And two, that Stjepan Sejic's steady run on the title begins in only four months. I doubt Leonardi will ever read these lines, but if he does, I have a message for him: stay away from the books I like. Please, oh please.

WildStorm: Revelations #1
I picked up this issue after seeing a preview on Newsarama. Apparently, it follows the events told in WildStorm: Armageddon, a limited series I never bothered with. However, Nemesis, Savant, and Backlash (Jodi, not Marc) star in this book about a quest to save the world from destruction, and I like those characters. Also, the artwork didn't look bad, so I decided to give it a chance. And lo and behold, it probably was the best book I read this month. Scott Beatty and Christos Gage's story was entertaining and well told, if not exactly original, and Wes Craig's roundish style was actually quite good, dynamic, and kinetic. Count me in for the next five issues!

The Clockwork Girl #0
I had also seen a preview for this series on Newsarama, so I decided to check it out. It's a fairytale about monster boys, clockwork girls, and two scientists and their rivalry, and even though it's obviously targeting a younger audience, the story by Sean O'Reilly and Kevin Hanna looks good, and the pictures by Grant Bond look even better. I will certainly come back for more!

16 comments:

Nash said...

ME ha gustado ver que no se han olvidado de Backlash, aunque en este caso sea Jodi una de las protas, lo que no entiendo es como el personaje de Savant sale en tantos comics...no me resulta nada "atractivo" y digo como personaje no como tia buana de dibujos. Dentro de poco vas a tener que cambiar de casa para seguir metiendo comics y libros. Seguro que tienes más que muchas bibliotecas.

Mario Alba said...

Es verdad que mola ver a Backlash por ahí, aunque esté bastante cambiado con aquello de ser mujer ahora, pero bueno.

Savant tiene su gracia, aunque tampoco me apasiona. Prefiero sin duda a Némesis.

Y la verdad es que necesito otra estantería, pero no tengo sitio para ponerla, así que aún no la he comprado. Además, ayer me decidí por fin y me compré una lavadora y una secadora (que ya iba siendo hora), así que durante los próximos meses, gastos los mínimos.

Anonymous said...

Realmente necesito ponerme a leer comics urgentemente si quiero estar a vuestra altura en el tema.

Backlash, Jodi, Savant, Némesis, cambiado con aquello de ser mujer ahora... Creo que ya sé lo que siente la gente cuando me emociono hablando de algún libro, película o lo que sea que no conocen.

Por cierto, Fel, sí, ya era hora. A ver si así no hay que estar interrumpiendo conversaciones messengeriles para ir a echarle un par de monedas más a la ropa. :P

Anonymous said...

¿No tenías lavadora? O_O

Curiosidad....¿cuánto hace que vives un en chatachula?

"Que suerte" Finn, contigo por lo menos habla por el messenger aunque sea con interrupciones...

Anonymous said...

Por cierto, no sabía dónde poner esto... Finn, me leí los dos primeros libros de Temerario, y estoy de acuerdo, me han encantado :)

Anonymous said...

Carmen dijo:
"Que suerte" Finn, contigo por lo menos habla por el messenger aunque sea con interrupciones...

¡Auh! Cuidado con ese puñal, no le vayas a sacar un ojo a alguien. ;P

Y estoy de acuerdo. El problema es que no coincidimos. Además, te tengo que enseñar unas fotos nuevas que molan mucho. :D

Mario Alba said...

No tenía lavadora porque he estado usando la lavandería de mi complejo de apartamentos, pero estaba ya hartito de tener que bajar y desafiar a los elementos (especialmente cuando llueve, nieva o hace frío) cada vez que tenía que lavar la ropa. Y eso por no hablar de tener que tener los "quarters" necesarios para que las máquinas funcionen; y dado que no hay máquina de cambio, me tocaba planear con antelación y pasarme por el banco para que me dieran moneditas. Y luego las secadoras secan cada vez menos y tenía que poner dos ciclos y volverme a gastar los cuartos, literalmente. Vamos, que ya iba siendo hora.

Y me alegro de que te hayan gustado las aventuras de Temeraire, Carmen! Creo que el tercero y el cuarto son incluso mejores que el segundo. Espero que sigas leyendo la serie!

Y sí, Hal: a ver si te pones a leer más comics, dammit! ;)

Nash said...

Los comics son muy caros asi que Halagan lo que tienes que hacer es irte una temporada a Chata fiesta, donde las urbanizaciones tienen labanderias comunitarias y no pistas de tenis o piscinas, mira que son raros estos americanos.

Mario Alba said...

Asumo que has olvidado la piscina de mis apartamentos y la pista de baloncesto. How sad...

Anonymous said...

¡Hala! Piscina, cancha de basket... ¡A vivir! :D

Ya me gustaría a mí. Claro que, luego, basta tenerlo para no usarlo.

Mario Alba said...

Casi cuatro años llevo en este apartamento, y aún no he usado la piscina ni una vez.

Anonymous said...

Jeje. Pues eso que decía. ;)

Mario Alba said...

Y no será por falta de alicientes, que macizas parece ser tenemos a capazos en el complejo...

Nash said...

Se me habia olvidado, tienes razon finn, pero ahora que me lo recuerdas no habia una rubia un tanto mayor simepre tumbada un una amaca...si sigue en la misma postura es que esta muerta. La pista de basket no la vi. Halagan no te quejes que en valladolid pase por un parque que tenia un monton de canchas de basket y futbol. Me parecio genial, en alicante no hay de eso.

Anonymous said...

Pues sí, Nash, eso que viste era la Acera Recoletos. Pero me pilla un poco lejos de casa como para ir a echar unas canastas.
De todos modos, yo me quejaba por no tener una en plan debajo de casa. A ver si cuando tenga el adosado pongo una canasta encima del garage o algo.

Por cierto, a ver esas fotos maciciles... ;)

Mario Alba said...

Tendré que cogerme la cámara y pasarme por la piscina... en verano.