Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pretty Dark

Even though I never played the original Perfect Dark videogame for Nintendo 64, nor even the latest Perfect Dark Zero, for Xbox 360, reading Greg Rucka's book Perfect Dark: Initial Vector, which serves as a sort of bridge between both games, was fun enough.

Just for the record, Initial Vector is way far from being the best book ever written. Of course, the fact that the previous sci-fi novel I'd read was Richard K. Morgan's fabulous Altered Carbon, didn't help me to like it as much as I should had. So I'll accept I was kind of biased.

But, anyway, Initial Vector is, as I already said, fun enough. It opens with a blast, and a fast-paced, gripping story drives the reader all through the novel right to the very last page. It also helps that all the characters are more or less well written, so they all have each own unique developed personality.

Initial Vector
is not this year's best book. Nor last year's, nor even 2005's (which is when it was originally published). But it's a fun, light reading, and from time to time, that's good for the mind.

Moreover, Joanna Dark's character is way cool. And sometimes that's all that's needed.

7 comments:

Mario Alba said...

Like I said before, I really enjoyed Perfect Dark: Initial Vector. Maybe it is because I thought it was going to be way worse than it turned out to be, but it is very enjoyable. It's a fast-paced, fun romp, and Joanna Dark certainly rules!

Anonymous said...

I still say it clearly biased me to have read Altered Carbon before. It was so good that I was doomed not to enjoy the same the next not-great book I'd read.

Mario Alba said...

That reminds me that I still need to find the second book in the Takeshi Kovacs series...

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that. We'll see if I can put my hands upon it some time.

Mario Alba said...

Man, I do need to swing by Barnes & Noble. But the truth is that I have a bunch of books I still need to read here. Less TV and more other stuff!

Anonymous said...

As a matter of fact, that last statement of yours, Fel, should well be too applied to my case.
As of lately I've fallen into a intense DVD watching routine. Which is good, I won't doubt that, but which it also let's me without time enough to take other things into account. I'm reading and writing less than I should. Way less than I should. :(

Mario Alba said...

I feel your pain. And I'm already taking steps toward fixing this situation!