Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Riders in the Sky (Na-na-na-na)

Yesterday I went to the movies to see Flyboys. I wasn't really planning on seeing it cause I didn't know anything about it. But on Thursday, while I was hanging out with some friends and watching the season premiere of Grey's Anatomy, the commercial came up on TV, and I thought the planes looked cool. Besides, I couldn't make it to The Black Dahlia (I'm planning on seeing that one today), so I went for Flyboys instead.
The movie is not very good, but I doubt it deserves the harsh C- Entertainment Weekly has given it, or the 29% it currently has on Rotten Tomatoes. Truth is, I had a hard time deciding whether I liked the movie or not. I found myself thinking the movie was kind of slow, and not very thrilling, but then I would surprise myself being completely engrossed by one particular scene. And another one. And one more.
The movie tells the story of a bunch of American guys that join a French squadron to learn how to pilot the first airplanes used in World War I. The dogfights are fun, and some (most?) of the scenes that don't deal with air combat are also pretty good. However, it feels like the thread holding everything together is rather dull and barely there at all, so the movie feels more like a bunch of sequences put together than an actual A to Z story. Also, I would have liked more time devoted to the training of the pilots.
To sum it up, it was an okay movie, and I don't regret seeing it, but you won't be missing anything if you don't watch it.

PS: An amusing sideline. Before the movie, they showed a couple of "interesting trailers". The first one was Evil Hair 2... I mean, The Grudge 2, and it looked awful. The second one was... Rocky Balboa, the latest installment in the literally aging franchise. I knew about the project, and I knew it was going to look bad. And it certainly does. But talking about franchises, aging, and Sly, Rambo IV is slated to hit theaters in 2007. I know: I can't wait for the preview either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rocky Balboa, Rambo IV, a new Indiana Jones movie coming... And they say there's no imagination on Hollywood anymore...

Mario Alba said...

Truer words were never spoken.

Anonymous said...

Not to count The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning or the recently discussed TMNT.