Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Enemy & Penny Lane

It's movie time… again! I know, I know: I'm not very original; but just bear with me, okay?
Even though I had seen (and liked) Jerry Maguire and Elizabethtown (not great, but I confess I did like it), I had never seen one of Cameron Crowe's most emblematic and popular movies: 2000's Almost Famous. And it was about time. I therefore went to Blockbuster -one of those few and far-between visits- and got it, along with The Pursuit of Happyness (good) and Running with Scissors (not so good, to put it mildly).

I'm pretty sure everybody's seen the movie, so I'm not going to discuss the plot at length. Suffice it to say that a high schooler, William, gets the opportunity of a lifetime and gets to travel with Stillwater, a band on the rise, in order to write an article about them for Rolling Stone magazine. Then, things happen.

It turns out everybody was right: Almost Famous is a great movie. And this is coming from a guy who couldn't care less about band movies or music movies. I guess I liked it because, even though it's about a band and it's about music, it's really not about a band or music. The story is about the boy, William, who is chasing his dream of writing for a music magazine, and how he has to fight to keep his integrity and defend his view of the world. Of course I was bound to love a movie like that. Chasing your dreams? Living according to your values? Doing the right thing? What's there not to like? So if you are one of the few people who still haven't seen this film, do yourself a favor and go get it. Now.

16 comments:

Gemma said...

This is one of my all time favourite films, wasn't so crazy about Elizabethtown, but I think that had more to do with a lack of Kate Hudson (pre-You Me and Dupree) and the presence of Kirsten Dunst.

alberto said...

Well, what I remember of the film was an amazing soundtrack. Lots of classics: Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie...
But yeah, I really liked it. In fact, it is one of those films that I always want to revisit, but really never dare to.
I guess this summer would be a good time to do it.

PS. I don't know why, but no matter what I do the word verification thing always gives me an error the first time I try to post something. Bugger!

alberto said...

By the way, it is good to know that I am first in the list of priceless blogs (I know there is no particular order for it, but still, I like that undeserved honor).
I'll have to keep it up.

Also, nice banner. Although the black letters are kind of difficult to read towards the right end

Mario Alba said...

Kirsten Dunst was one of the best things of that movie...

Alberto, you definitely should watch it again, and then you could also pay attention to the sountrack one more time.

That word verification error used to happen to me too at some point. It was really, really frustrating. But it just went away mysteriously.

And I'm glad you like the banner. I agree it's kinda hard to read at the end, that's why I kept it short and sweet, with as big a font as I dared to. You should have seen the previous attempts with many more words and a smaller font. I ended up having to get rid of most everything.

Mario Alba said...

And OF COURSE you're the first one. Tonto ;)

Mario Alba said...

Pero me has dado una idea. Creo que ahora se lee mucho mejor :)

alberto said...

Bueno, la verdad es que sí se lee mejor. Poner el Sunny Jhanna grande en blanco también, ¿sería muy overkill?
Ya sé que el banner es tuyo y te lo follas cuando quieres, pero por comentarlo

Mario Alba said...

Hahahaha. Creo que me gusta en negro, though.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen Almost Famous, but I'm really expecting to change that anytime soon. It seems a pretty good movie, and if Fel gives it a thumbs up review, then I don't have excuses left for not having seen it.

Precioso el nuevo encabezamiento de página, Fel, y los cambios en los menús de links y demás. Me ha pillado completamente de sorpresa. De grata sorpresa, quiero decir. :)

Mario Alba said...

Es que ya sabes que Jhanna está muy bonita en esta época del año ;)

Considera estos cambios como un preludio para el inminente post número 400 (300 consecutivo), hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Impaciente espero verlo, entonces, jejeje.

Mario Alba said...

Espero que lo veamos, porque anda que no me está costando...

Anonymous said...

¿Va a ser un post especial? Tendré que echar cuentas para no pisarte el día. Ahhh... como pasa el tiempo. Aún recuerdo cuando Nash puso aquel concurso de frases de películas...

Mario Alba said...

Si mis cálculos no fallan -y créeme: no fallan-, el post número 400 -300 consecutivo- será el del viernes, así que, si me dejáis postear ese día, os estaré agradecido :)

Y sí: qué bien lo pasamos con aquel concurso...

Anonymous said...

Tuyo es el viernes, faltaría mas. Llevas soportando el 90% del peso del blog desde que empezamos, no vas a poder postear cuando te salga. Acabáramos.

Por cierto, que llevo siglos intentando pillarte por el Messenger y no hay manera chico. Que tengo que comentarte unas cosillas.

Mario Alba said...

Gracias, gracias. Y ya os aviso que, si las cosas van como quiero (que espero que sí), la celebración del post 400 se "alargará" un poco. Sed pacientes ;)

Y lo mismo digo con respecto al Messenger. Cada vez que veo que estamos comentando más o menos al mismo tiempo lo conecto, pero nunca estás :(