Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Friday, February 09, 2007

High Quality Movies

Last weekend I rented three movies. I don't usually rent a lot of movies because I feel ripped off, and so I go to the theater to see most of what I want to see. However, from time to time, I swing by Blockbuster and get a few movies. None of the films I chose were remarkable, but only two of them were bad (I guess it could have been worse). From worst to best, these were my debatable choices:

Tamara. I already mentioned this one. A horrid horror film that tells the "story" of Tamara, a high school loser that is killed when a prank goes terribly wrong. But fear not: she was into witchcraft, and so she manages to return to plague her killers, transformed into uberhot Jenna Dewan. (Well, she was Jenna Dewan to begin with, but with greasy hair and non-slutty clothes, mind you.) Just to give you an idea of how bad the movie is, the tagline is "Revenge has a killer body". 'Nuff said!

Slither. Yeah, I guess I was in a kind of B-series horror mood when I went to Blockbuster. Actually, I think I'm usually in a B-series horror mood when I go to the place. At any rate, Slither was also supposed to be funny, and starred Capt. Malcolm Reynolds himself, Nathan Fillion. The movie is your basic Invasion of the Body Snatchers story, with some witty lines and a couple of hot chicks (Elizabeth Banks and Tania Saulnier). And the movie does cover the basics: sleepy small town, gore galore, well-meaning cops, and an obtuse mayor. I know, I know: I'm not blaming anybody but me, okay?

Where the Truth Lies. I guess movie titles need to have more than one word to be good, hahaha. This one stars Colin Firth and Kevin Bacon as an old comedic duo that has fallen apart after the unresolved murder of a hottie years ago. Now, a wannabe writer (Alison Lohman) is working on an exposé of what really happened. And part of what happened was resentment, debauchery, and all the excesses associated with rising TV stars. The movie is actually intriguing, well told, and somewhat surprising, so, even if it's no masterpiece, I did enjoy it. Oh, and let's not forget that scene with the reporter making out with Alice (in Wonderland). Solid.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you into masochism? Got any mental issues? What parts of Tamara and/or Slither did you think would be worth the money?

Even today you still razzle dazzle puzzle me. In the right good meaning of the words, of course.

Mario Alba said...

Parts in those movies that would be worth my money:

1. Tamara: Jenna Dewan prancing around scantily clad.

2. Slither: Nathan Fillion being funny.

I guess I need some bad movies from time to time to better appreciate the good ones...

Anonymous said...

Hehehe, excellent reasoning. BTW, I kinda liked Scooby-Doo, so I suppose I can't criticize you. Heck! I even liked Scooby-Doo 2!

Now I'm razzling dazzling puzzling myself...

Mario Alba said...

Hahahahahaha. Yeah. A person who likes SD can't criticize any of my (very) arguable choices, hahaha.

huitzilin said...

Speaking of intrigue, there is one comment that grabs my attention. You feel ripped off when you rent movies? Even though (at least here) you can get five for $5? And paying $8 or so to see a movie doesn't make you feel that way?

Not that I don't think it's worth it, but I would go to the cinema a lot more often if it were less expensive.

Mario Alba said...

Querida Huitzilin,

I'll explain what I mean by that. Here in Chatt we don't have cool offers like Vision Video's 5 movies for $5. Here, we're stuck with Blockbuster, and I can tell you blocks are not the only thing these guys bust. If you rent a movie at Blockbuster it costs you $4.50 plus tax. On the other hand, if you go to a matinee, it costs $5 (at The Bijou) or $5.50 (at The Rave). So, if I have to choose between paying $4.50 to watch a movie on my small screen after at least three or four months after it opened; and paying $5.50 to see the same movie on the big screen the day it comes out, well: it's not much of a choice.
That's why I barely rent any movies at all: because I pretty much see everything I want to in theaters. I accept movies could be cheaper (especially after 6:00PM), but, if you catch a matinee, then it's worth it. Or, at least, a better investment than going to Blockbuster. Now, if I had something like Vision Video here, that would be different. I guess I could always look into Netflix, though...

Anonymous said...

5 movies for five dollars? Iguess here in Spain we'll never be so lucky.

Mario Alba said...

Actually, there's a THIRD 5 missing. The deal at Vision Video is 5x5x5:

5 movies
5 dollars
5 days

It really is cool.

Anonymous said...

Definitely. We'll NEVER be so lucky.