Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Monday, February 26, 2007

El número 23

Rotten Tomatoes gives this movie a pathetic 8%, so it's a good thing I went to see it before I read the reviews. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have dared. And I would have regretted it (or not, if I had never known), because I did enjoy the movie.
The Number 23 stars Jim Carrey in another "Hey, I'm a serious actor" role. As usual, I'm not going to spoil anything for you, but I'll just say that he becomes quite obsessed with a book that's called "The Number 23: A Novel of Obsession" that points at said number as the source of pretty much everything (quite like the famous number phi). The movie is one of those puzzle thrillers in which you enjoy the ride to see how it all connects, and, at the same time, you hope the filmmakers won't cheat you by giving you a horrible explanation (The Forgotten comes to mind).
Even though it's not a great movie, The Number 23 is entertaining, visually interesting, and, at times, surprising (or so I thought; then again, I'm never able to guess who the killer is in suspense movies, so maybe I'm just thick). At the very least, it certainly beats the last two movies I saw in theaters (and the few last movies I've seen on DVD --ah, Tamara). And I haven't seen Ghost Rider, but I bet it beats that one too: at least, Lynn Collins and Rhona Mitra are way hotter that fugly Eva Mendes, one of the two ugliest women to ever be on screen.

No comments: