Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Summer Movie Madness

As we all know, summertime equals blockbuster season in Hollywood, and this year is no exception to the rule. Strangely, the movies I’m most interested in seeing will be opening in May for the most part, but there is plenty of goodness left for the three official summer months. This is what I’m dying to see this busy, busy season:

V. May
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (May 1)
I know an almost finished version of the movie was leaked online and the reviews were less than stellar, but it’s Wolverine, and Gambit and Deadpool are in the movie, so I’ll go see it.

Star Trek (May 8)
I’ve never been a Star Trek fan, but the previews look really cool, so I guess I’ll have to go and check it out.

Angels & Demons (May 15)
I really liked the book, and this time Tom Hanks’s hair doesn’t look retarded.

Terminator: Salvation (May 21)
I’m hoping they have Christian Bale’s infamous rant as an after-the-credits Easter egg. Wouldn’t that blow your mind?

Easy Virtue (May 22)
Jessica Biel being superhot. ‘Nuff said!

Up (May 29)
Pixar’s new movie! Woohoo!

Drag me to Hell (May 29)
Sam Raimi’s return to the horror genre he loves so much. Will Bruce Campbell have a cameo? We can only hope.

Other potentially interesting movies: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (May 1), The Brothers Bloom (May 15)

VI. June
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (June 24)
Even though I wasn’t exactly impressed with the first one, I’ll have to go check out Megan Fox –I mean, the big robots.

Other potentially interesting movies: The Proposal (June 19), Year One (June 19).

VII. July
Public Enemies (July 1)
Johnny Depp as the notorious John Dillinger? Christian Bale (apparently ubiquitous nowadays) as FBI agent Melvin Purvis trying to stop him? Michael Mann directing? I’m really hoping there’s a midnight show because this is the day I fly to Spain, and I am cursing myself for having to wait until I’m back to see it. Let’s all cross our fingers and whisper: midnight show, midnight show…

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (July 17)
Do I really need to justify this pick? A shame I’ll be in Spain, though, but I’ll try to catch it when I’m in San Diego.

Other potentially interesting movies: Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (July 1), Brüno (July 10), 500 Days of Summer (July 17)

VIII. August
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (August 7)
Okay, maybe I’m not crazy about this movie (I haven’t even see the previews yet), but I’ll probably end up going to see it anyway, so I won’t even try to fight it.

The Time Traveler’s Wife (August 14)
Based on the phenomenal book, I’m sure I will be disappointed, but I will so be there on opening day.

Ponyo (August 14)
The latest Miyazaki animated feature, it is sure to be as quirky and delightful as his previous masterpieces.

Inglourious Basterds (August 21)
Quentin Tarantino is back, and Brad Pitt’s got his back. And I’m sure there will be thousands and thousands of expletives and fake blood. Fun!

So what do you guys think? What movies are you looking forward the most? What movies do you absolutely refuse to see? Let the debate begin!

15 comments:

Nash said...

Una buena lista de titulos, solo espero que en las que tengo esperanzas no me las chafen mucho, como terminator, lobezno....

Mario Alba said...

Ya veremos qué pasa con Lobezno mañana...

alberto said...

Pues ya te digo que no voy a poder ver ninguna. No por mí, sino porque me da la impresión de que me va a costar un huevo convencer a you know who para ir a ver un blockbuster...

La peli de Johnny Depp tiene buena pinta...

Anonymous said...

Triste, pero no tengo especiales ganas de ver ninguna de las mencionadas. Ni Wolverine siquiera.

Star Trek no me atrae pero nada, de Angels & Demons prefiero quedarmen con el recuerdo del libro, Terminator: Salvation es para mi ya un caso perdido, Up... bueno, es Pixar, pero sigue sin apetecerme ir al cine para ver cintas de menos de hora y media.

De la secuela de Transformers mejor ni hablo, la de Harry Potter no la vere hasta que no me lea el libro, lo mismo que The Time Traveler's Wife, y en cuanto a G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra... bueno... no pienso ni dar explicaciones de por que no pienso pagar por verla.

Asi que quiza vaya a ver Public Enemies o, mas probablemente, Inglorious Bastards. Que no se diga que no apoyo a la industria del cine. ;)

Mario Alba said...

La verdad es que estaba exagerando cuando dije que "me moría de ganas" de ver todas esas películas. Hay varias que sí tengo muchas ganas de ver, pero la mayoría son películas que sé que iré a ver, aunque no es que esté contando los días exactamente.

Mario Alba said...

Wolverine es la leche, amiguetes. Acabo de volver del cine, y a ver si la semana que viene os cuento mis impresiones...

Anonymous said...

Bueno, pues me acabas de dejar en fuera de juego. ¿Wolverine la leche? ¿No estaras acusando aun el sindrome House Bunny?

Nash said...

Lobezno esta bastante bien, no es la leche pero mola mucho y quedaros hasta el final de los creditos.

Mario Alba said...

Hahahaha. Nunca dije que The House Bunny fuera la leche. ME resultó muy divertida, y Anna Faris lo borda. Wolverine me sorprendió más que gratamente porque me temía lo peor, pero me pareció estupenda, excpeto por Deadpool. Pero no se puede tener todo...

Anonymous said...

Vaya, precisamente lo que mas te atraia de la pelicula, Fel.

Yo soy de los petardos que se quedan siempre en su butaca hasta que no pasan todos los creditos, pero gracias por el aviso, Nash. ¿Es una practica comun en las pelis de la Marvel el poner escena bonus al final? Porque creo que al menos Iron Man tambien traia una.

Mario Alba said...

Iron Man traía una, sí, al igual que X-Men 3. Y aun sabiéndolo, la gente se levantó y se marchó en Wolverine. En fin...

Anonymous said...

Supongo que habra gente a la que no le compensa. ¿Una escena mas, o ver tantas letras que parece que te estas leyendo un libro? Dificil decision.

Mario Alba said...

Hablando de Wolverine, hoy mismo he descubierto que la peli tiene dos finales ocultos diferentes. El periódico inglés The Guardian dice que Europa tiene un final y los USA tienen otro. No sé si ésta es la verdadera distribución, pero parece cierto que hay otro final oculto diferente al que yo vi. Supongo que es el fenómeno equivalente a tener variant covers en los comics: ahora tenemos variant endings. Nacho, sin destripar nada, ¿tu final estaba relacionado con "un bar", sí o no?

Nash said...

Un bar en japon, si.
Pero es que hay como dos mini finales, el primero es un tipo andando a mitad de las letras, y el segundo es el del bar.

Mario Alba said...

El del tipo andando sale en ambas versiones. Pero, al final de los créditos, mi final fue diferente al tuyo, pues el mío transcurre en "la isla".