Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Friday, April 17, 2009

Countdown to Collision

Worlds Collide, Sunny Jhanna's new online comic book will be coming out next week! I know it's been a long time in the making, but I hope you guys like what you see. As I always say, being a team of one means lots of work, and even though I've worked as fast as I could (for the most part), well, it's taken a long time. On the other hand, it's pretty cool to work by yourself, since all the elements fit and evolve and change and adapt and fit again in your head, and I don't have to drive anybody crazy with what we'll grandiosely call "my vision". (I'm laughing too, don't worry.)

Worlds Collide will be eleven pages long, and it will appear every three days. In between pages, we'll have lots of extras to give you a glimpse into the creative process, which I hope you'll find as interesting as the story itself.

I guess you could think of these eleven pages as the first issue of the series, or, to be more accurate, as an issue zero or preview issue or origin story, whatever you want to call it. At eleven pages, it is obviously not exactly a standard-size issue, but this is the part of the story that "had to be drawn". The story has what has to be described as an open ending that, of course, I cannot discuss right now. There will be questions left unanswered at the end of the story, so please be prepared for that and don't complain too much about it. It is not that I ran out of space, out of ideas, out of energy, or out of paper. There is a reason for things to be this way, but I really cannot say anything else right now, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

I think the story turned out to be quite interesting, and I think I did some neat storytelling, at least on some of the pages. They are black and white pages with gray tones, and there really aren't too many panels per page. The only thing in color is the logo that accompanies this post, which I did in Photoshop in about ten minutes. I know it's not exactly awesome, but the idea for it came to me almost immediately after I got the title, and I think it looks kind of cool.

But enough talking already. Remember, Worlds Collide comes out next week, so it won't be long before you get to tell me what you think of this whole crazy idea!

6 comments:

Nash said...

Espero que tengas pensado subtitularla al castellano para que no me pierda nada de la historia. Que tiene muy buena pinta. El logo te ha quedado muy chulo.

Mario Alba said...

Me alegro de que te guste el logo, Nash. Con respecto al idioma/subtítulos, tengo buenas y malas noticias. Las malas noticias es que está en inglés. Pensé hacer una versión en castellano, pero dado que los carteles y otras cosas que aparecen en los dibujos están en inglés, los diálogos tienen por necesidad (ya comprenderás) que estar en inglés también.
Las buenas noticias es que no hay demasiado diálogo, así que no debería costarte demasiado entenderla. Aunque, ahora que lo pienso, siempre puedo añadir la traducción como comentario al post, o algo así :)

Anonymous said...

Peeeerfecto, ya tenía ganas. Muchas gracias, Fel, por tanta dedicación. Das gusto. Por cierto, ¿sabes que al decir...

"There is a reason for things to be this way"...estás siendo pero que muy cruel? ¡Queremos saber si va a haber continuación ya! ¡Y en qué forma!

Un mes entero de WC. No puedo esperar.

Mario Alba said...

Hehehe. Me alegra que te emociones, Hal. Y espero que te guste y estés deseoso de tener un mes de Worlds Collide, porque eso es precisamente lo que vas a tener. Por un lado, quería espaciar algo las entradas; pero, por otro, quiero que veáis las páginas tan pronto como sea posible, que ya habéis esperado bastante.
Lo único que me falta por hacer es poner los diálogos (que tengo escritos) en las páginas con Photoshop, cosa que no debería llevarme demasiado tiempo. Precisamente por eso es por lo que he esperado tanto: para poder garantizar la periodicidad de la historia.

Y sí, ya sé que soy cruel, y aunque me gustaría daros respuestas, tendréis que resignaros y esperar. Si he hecho bien mi trabajo, vosotros mismos podréis contestar la mayoría de las preguntas. Y como dije en algún LYJM, espero que Worlds Collide os haga explotar el cerebro al menos una vez por página*.

*Individual results may vary.

Anonymous said...

Bueeno, acabo de volver de cuatro días de descanso laboral (e internético), y ya me he encontrado con la primera página de WC, así como algún que otro making of. Dado que yo repaso los posts de abajo a arriba, aún no me he puesto a ello.

Los próximos minutos prometen ser apasionantes.

Mario Alba said...

Espero que te guste lo que vas a ver en un momento!