Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sprawling imagination

What a pleasant surprise Hellboy: II The Golden Army turned out to be. While I still think director Guillermo del Toro is overrated, I have to say that I enjoyed his latest movie a lot. Maybe it was because I went in with low expectations, since I don't like his movies very much, I don't read the Hellboy comic books, and the first film left me indifferent, but the truth is that I had a great time at the movies with Hellboy II.

The story wasn't all that original, but Hellboy's trademark fairy tale flavor certainly added to it. The dialogue was dynamic and entertaining, even if it wasn't terrific (and not all that original either), but the interaction between the different characters made up for it. But the visuals were arresting, and that was without a doubt my favorite thing in the movie. The creatures are fascinating and visually compelling, and the backgrounds and different locations are varied and fitting. Add del Toro's twisted vision, his fascination for dark criatures and strange monsters, and this fairy tale becomes creepier than any of its counterparts. In fact, the twin Prince and Princess both boast great designs, make-up, and costumes, and the golden army from the title looks phenomenal. Go steampunk!

Regarding the main characters, I liked Hellboy's blasé attitude, and how he just takes everything in stride. Abe Sapien was funny and beautifully rendered, and, while I didn't care for Liz all that much, Johann was very entertaining and visually interesting. And since I mentioned their interaction before, the Hellboy/Liz relationship is very interesting, and both the Hellboy/Johann and the Hellboy/Manning dynamics are really funny.

To sum it up, while Hellboy II is not the best movie I've seen this year, it was a lot of fun, and I recommend it to everyone who wants to have a good time and understands that Batman is not necessarily leading the only must-see comic book movie of the summer.

10 comments:

huitzilin said...

It's not that I don't trust you, my friend. I just don't see me watching Hellboy of any denomination. Really, ever. So don't go getting any ideas and rent the first one for this weekend. I'll occupy myself with something in your book collection instead.

Dr. Banting said...

Mi querida huitzilin...

Al menos tenga la deferencia de echar un vistazo a alguno de los comics en los que esta basada la pelicula.

Le puedo asegurar que la obra de Mike Mignola es realmente increible...

Mario Alba said...

I don't see you enjoying Hellboy, Huitzy. But it was lots of fun!

Anonymous said...

I kinda liked the first one. Not a great movie, that's true, but it was fun enough.

Mario Alba said...

This one is SO much better, though. Check it out whenever you get the chance!

Anonymous said...

Hellboy is dependably fun; for sure that director has an amazing imagination, reminded me alot of his work in Pan's Labyrinth

Anonymous said...

That's completely true. I can't think of anybody in Hollywood today with as much a vivid imagination as Guillermo del Toro (well, maybe Tim Burton or, to some extent, Night Shyamalan).

And, unlike Finn5fel, I simply loved Pan's Labyrinth. Beautiful movie indeed.

huitzilin said...

If Finn5fel didn't like Pan's Labyrinth, it's only because he was already planning out how to draw the faun when he got home. Trust me. I have an inside perspective on this.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Huitzy knows what she's talking about...

I thought Pan's Labyrinth was somewhat boring. The visuals in the fantasy segments were cool, yes, but there was too little of that. Also, the movie was mismarketed, or falsely marketed on purpose, leading audiences to believe the film was going to be something else entirely. I didn't like that dishonesty either.

At any rate, I don't regret having seen it, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again. I think it's a grossly overrated movie.

Anonymous said...

About the mismarketing thing, I'm not really sure that happened here in Spain. Or it maybe was that I don't remember watching even a single trailer or ad before seeing the movie.

Then... What were you expecting, Fel?