Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Reading List: July

One more month of reading books and comic books on the couch (and other places). This is what I read in July:

Every Which Way But Dead
The third installment in Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series is almost as good as the second one, and better than the first one. Recurrent characters such as Ivy, Kist and Trent Kalamack grow and develop, and new characters are introduced. Old plot lines are solved, some others remain obscure, and a few new ones are thrown into the mix. Do yourselves a favor and start reading these books.

El hombre sentimental
A novel by Javier Marías, El hombre sentimental is a love story that’s surprising and beautifully written. A great and fast read!

Madame Mirage
I already told you how cool this graphic novel by Paul Dini and Kenneth Rocafort is.

The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home
Again, I’ve already written about this great graphic novel by peter Robin Furth, Peter David, Jae Lee, and Richard Isanove, all of them working in Stephen King’s universe.

The Briar King
The first book in the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series by Greg Keyes, The Briar King is an amazing book everyone should read. The way Keyes writes and the interesting elements he throws in (dialects, the evolution of languages, among others) are so well integrated and so riveting that you can’t help but read on. The characters are so real and complex, and their interaction so fascinating, that I wonder why Keyes isn’t a much popular author. He is awesome!

Sky Doll #2
It seems like all I do is reread these books by Alessandro Barbucci and Barbara Canepa. Well, they’re awesome, so you should do the same as well.

The Charnel Prince
This is the second installment in Greg Keyes’s Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone. The first one is so good that I broke my unwritten rule of not reading books in a series in a row to find out how everything unfolded. The Charnel Prince is as good as The Briar King.

Sky Doll #3
I really can’t wait for the fourth volume of this phenomenal book. I really can’t.

Felipe II
A historical graphic novel by Antonio Hernández Palacios, it comprises the life of Spanish king Philip II and the events surrounding his time as ruler of the powerful Spanish Empire. The book does a lot of telling instead of showing, but I understand that is almost a necessity when summarizing so many things into forty-eight pages. The artwork is interesting, and I am curious to see it in black and white.

2033: The Future of Misbehavior
A collection of short stories put together by the editors of Nerve.com, these tales are full of interesting and funny premises, most of which become cool short stories. The element they all have in common is that all the stories take place in the year 2033, and that there is some sex or love or relationship issues going on. If you wonder how love will be in the year 2033, you have to read this book. A fun read!

Carlos V
Another graphic novel by Antonio Hernández Palacios, this one recounts the life of Charles V, even if said king barely shows up at all in the actual pages. I mean, what’s up with that?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what's with you now reading historical biographies, all of a sudden? Not that I don't think you should, of course. But, you know... bizarre.

BTW, I'm soon (finally!) starting reading The Briar King. Thanks for all the hype, Fel.

Mario Alba said...

My friend Jorge gave them to me, that's why. And I hope you enjoy The Briar King. I just finished The Blood Knight, so I only have one book left! I do have, however, several things I want to discuss with you regarding the books, so you'd better get reading!

Anonymous said...

M'kay then. As soon as I start with it, I'll let you know. Or, better yet, I'll do it as soon as I've finished it.

Mario Alba said...

Cool. We'll have to write a post about it, so we can discuss certain things, characters, dates, and other details ;)

Anonymous said...

Cool. So that way we can bore to death everyone around here who hasn't read the book. Erm... so that would include... pretty much everyone around here.

I'm more on the Messenger kind of discussion side myself. ;)

Mario Alba said...

Okay then. It'll be either Messenger or long email :)