Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, July 12, 2008

But I Told You So

Ever since I got The Offspring's latest CD, Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, I've been wanting to write this review. However, we all know that, when it comes to music, it's better to wait for a while, listen to the songs a few times, let them grow on you. That doesn't mean I didn't like it to begin with. On the contrary, I liked it from the very beginning, but it has certainly grown on me, and now I can present you with a more accurate ( or would that be even more biased?) opinion.

Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace offers twelve new songs. Out of those 12, I think 7 are great, 3 are good, and 2 I don't care for. Ten songs I listen to, two songs I skip: All in all, not a bad balance. These are the songs (in the order they appear on the CD):

Great songs
1. Half-Truism. Cool lyrics and great beat, even though I could do without the slower segments. I'm still trying to decide what the song is about, though.
2. Trust in You. Again, cool lyrics and ultrafast beat.
3. You're Gonna Go Far, Kid. I already loved this one, and it certainly is one of the best songs on the CD, if not the best one.
4. Hammerhead. This is one of those songs that sounds good but you really need to listen to the lyrics to fully appreciate it. Terribly dark and twisted, as it talks about a soldier killing for "the greater good". Bloodcurdling!
6. Takes Me Nowhere. Great beat and cool, hopeless lyrics.
8. Nothingtown. A song making fun of a small town and how the singer wants to get out of it? What's there not to like?
9. Stuff Is Messed Up. With what could be the most euphemistic title in the history of music, this is classic Offspring: great beat and incredibly sarcastic lyrics in which Dexter criticizes the way society is. It reminds me a lot of Americana because of what he says and the overall feeling of desperation. An amazing song!

Good songs
7. Kristy, Are You Doing Okay? It's a ballad, though, and it doesn't feel like The Offspring at all.
11. Let's Hear It for Rock Bottom. Typical Offspring lyrics and an amusing beat.
12. Rise and Fall. Good beat and okay lyrics.

These I could live without
5. A Lot Like Me. Meh.
10. Fix You. The slowest song on the CD, it's also kind of a crappy ballad. Since when do The Offspring make ballads?

So there you go. If you like The Offspring, I recommend you buy Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. And, if you don't like them, well, repent yourself and then go to the store and grab a copy. You can thank me later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

La verdad es que no me imagino cómo tiene que ser una balada de los Offspring. Sólo por eso, ya quiero darle una oportunidad al disco.

No sé, se me hace tan raro como el Fary cantando blues.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Es verdad. Lo siento, pero The Offspring no hace baladas. O esa era la ley eterna e inmutable que quedó destrozada al ponerse este disco a la venta. Como ya he dicho, son las dos o tres baladas las que menos me gustan. Que se dediquen a lo que saben hacer, que son canciones ultrarrápidas furiosas y sarcásticas, y que se dejen de chorradas. He dicho.

Anonymous said...

Vamos, que nunca habían publicado una sola balada, ¿no?

Es que en serio que no me imagino como pueden sonar tocando lento.

Mario Alba said...

Mal. Así es como suenan ;)