Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, July 24, 2010

What a Catch

I just finished reading Stephen King's novella Blockade Billy, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. (Big shocker, I know.) My favorite thing was the way the story is written. King favors stories in which characters tell stories, and I think he's honed to perfection his skill at telling this particular kind of tale. In Blockade Billy, an old guy who is being interviewed by King himself tells the story of William Blakely: how he became part of the Titans (a baseball team), how he became known as Blockade Billy, and how his very existence was erased from all records.

The story was interesting, but it was the way it was told that did it for me. I liked the characters, and I was curious to see how things would turn out, even though you know, right from the start, that there won't be a happy ending.

Like I said, I enjoyed Blockade Billy, and it only increased my eagerness to read King's new short-story collection (four novellas, actually), Full Dark, No Stars, which comes out November 9. And while I wait for it, let's see if I get around to reading Under the Dome, because it's about time!

5 comments:

Nash said...

Una novela de Baseball??? no es que suene muy interesante pero si tu lo dices.

Mario Alba said...

No es sobre baseball, sino sobre un jugador en particular. De todas formas, no creo que te pareciera demasiado interesante, es verdad :)

Carlos said...

Pero este no escribía libros de terror...... Seguro que el bate de baseball cobra vida y va matando a todos los dueños del bate... XD

Nash said...

jajjaa, es una opcion, pero el amigo King escribe todo tipo de novelas, lo que pasa es que las de terror son las que más fama le han dado

Mario Alba said...

Bien lo ha dicho Nash: King no solo escribe novelas de terror, aunque es verdad que todo lo que escribe suele estar relacionado con lo sobrenatural o lo inexplicable de un modo u otro. En Blockade Billy no hay elementos de terror... excepto por los seres humanos y las cosas que son capaces de hacer, lo que, bien mirado, puede ser bastante aterrador.