Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Monday, July 19, 2010

Focus on Your Focus

I barely remember the original, but I am ready to claim the new version of The Karate Kid surpasses it. My girlfriend and I went to see it, and we both loved it for many reasons: the compelling underdog story, the great acting (both Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan are terrific), the themes of overcoming your fear, fighting for what you want, and committing to something and sticking with it... There was nothing in this movie that didn't work.

Jaden Smith turned out to be not only surprisingly adorable but also a very gifted actor, and he effortlessly conveyed little Dre Parker's plight when he and his mom move to China. His relationship with her (Taraji P. Henson), with Mr. Han (Jackie Chan), and with Mei Ying (Wenwen Han) made the movie for me, and by the end I was rooting so badly for him I am almost embarrassed to admit it. As for Jackie Chan, he delivered a very restrained and dramatic performance that blew me away. If I was to learn Kung Fu, I would want no other master, that's for sure.

The movie clocks in at two hours and twenty minutes, but I was captivated by it the whole time, and I could have watched for a lot longer than that, since time flew by while I was in the theater. I thought the previews look good, but I wasn't expecting such a great film. Therefore, if you still haven't seen The Karate Kid, I can't recommend it enough. Until Inception opens, it might just be the best film playing at your local multiplex, so do yourself a favor and go see it. You can thank me later.

3 comments:

Carlos said...

Yo la quiero ir a ver, leí la crítica hace unas semanas y la pusieron muy bien. También He visto el trailer y me gusto. Lo único es que paseando el otro día con un amigo japonés vimos el cartel y nos pusimos a hablar sobre ella estaba un poco mosqueado porque me decía no se tendría que llamar "karate Kid" ya el karate es de Japón y la película en China y no le enseña karate no? Mi amigo japonés estaba enfadado aunque los enfados japoneses pienso que son mas decepciones.....

Nash said...

No creo que eso sea motivo de mucha queja, si los de Hollywood mezclan las fallas y la semana santa o ponen San Fermin en Sevilla, que hagan karate en china no es tan grave.

Mario Alba said...

Aprende kung-fu, y el mismo corrige a la madre en la pelicula cuando ella lo llama karate, hahaha. Pero vamos: que mola.