Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Monday, July 26, 2010

Welcome to Canaima

Arachnophobia is one of those movies I remember so fondly I'm always willing to watch it again. Surprisingly, my girlfriend had never seen it, so I bought it on DVD to rectify that sad situation, and I watched it with her. You're probably thinking that, since I hadn't seen it in years, I was disappointed by it, but nothing could be further than the truth. My recent experience working at the barn on a daily basis has made me appreciate this movie even more. Down in the barn, I'm surrounded by spiders (and other critters) of all kinds and sizes. I've seen cellar spiders, fisher spiders, black and yellow garden spiders, and even one brown recluse spider and one black widow, two of the most poisonous spiders in the world. Therefore, seeing Jeff Daniels and the rest of the cast struggle against the onslaught of deadly spider attacks that is spreading over the little town of Canaima became even more frightening than it was before. Plus, the movie is just plain fun, with witty dialogue, good acting, and a terrific setting. So, if you haven't seen this classic in a while, get the DVD and spend a great 110 minutes eating popcorn and shivering in disgust. Who could ask for more?

6 comments:

Carlos said...

Peli que me gusto mucho y que me hizo mirar muchas veces si tenía algo dentro de la cama, menos mal que esta cosas solo pasan en los USA. En los USA tenéis de todo, que si arañas, serpientes, cocodrilos y etc. lo que comentan sobre las arañas que has visto me hace pensar mucho en lo de trabajar en tu granja........ Con la suerte que tengo me pican todas a la vez...

Mario Alba said...

Sí que tenemos de todo, sí. Y atento a una futura entrada sobre las arañas de la granja!

Carlos said...

Elegí no irme a Australia porque vi un documental de los animales más peligros del mundo y la mayoría estaban en USA y en Australia. Lo fuerte es que algunos vivían en las casas, en los sótanos, graneros, etc. Algunos insectos podían estar dentro de tus zapatos. La chica del documental decía que miraba todos los días dentro de sus zapatillas por si acaso... Yo no podría vivir en un país así. Podías poner alguna fotillo para que la viesemos

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Me gustaría viajar a Australia en el futuro, pero después de haber leído (dos veces) In a Sunburned Country de Bill Bryson, tengo el miedo metido en el cuerpo por precisamente todo lo que mencionas.

En cuanto a las fotos que pides, ¿te refieres a fotos de la granja?

Nash said...

No seas bichos fobicos, que es casi imposible que te pique uno de esos bichos super letales y es mucho más peligroso ir por la carreteras españolas.
La peli es cutrecilla pero entretiene que es su objetivo.

Mario Alba said...

Eso de que es casi imposible lo dirás tú. Además del Hombre sin Frío se ve que también eres el Hombre sin Miedo ;)