Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Friday, February 26, 2010

Reading List: February

Well, I think I managed to read more this month than I did in January. Still a far cry from what I was used to, though, but it's all good, since I couldn't be happier. This is all the goodness I read in February:

Madman, vol. 1
A friend gave me the first Madman trade because he absolutely loves it and he thought I should give it a try. I had stayed away from Mike Allred's creation because I didn't find the artwork appealing, and this book helped broaden my horizons. I'm still no fan of his pencils, but the stories were weird and whimsy and enjoyable, and I had a good time reading them.

The Duchess of Whimsy
I already told you how awesome the artwork by Peter de Sève is!

Flawed Dogs
This book by Berkeley Breathed is clearly geared for a very young audience, and it didn't really do much for me. The illustrations were pretty cool, but, other than that, the story left me indifferent.

Chew
This first trade of Image's great series by John Layman and Rob Guillory is fantastic, as I already told you.

Catch Me If You Can
The book that inspired the movie, Catch Me If You Can is written by its protagonist, Frank W. Abagnale (with Stan Redding), who recounts his glamourous life as a paperhanger, and how his boldness and charisma allowed him to travel everywhere in the world seducing the ladies. A million times more compelling than Spielberg's version, this book is a terrific read!

Grandville
A fun story written and illustrated by Bryan Talbot, this "scientific- romance- thriller" starring anthropomorphic animals was as bit as entertaining as the 11 O'Clock Comics guys said it was.

And that's it for February. Stay tuned for more rock'n'roll…
I mean, book reviews.

11 comments:

Nash said...

Me ha llamado mucho la atencion el libro, de atrapame si puedes, creo que la pelicula se queda muy corta en comparación con todo lo que eso hombre vivio, espero que lo traduzcan.
Yo hace poco me lei juegos de guerra, y me ha gustado bastante.

Mario Alba said...

El libro es infinitamente mejor que la peli, sí. Y Juegos de guerra, madre mía...

Nash said...

Que tienes contra juegos de guerra, es posiblemente una de las mejores y más verosimiles peliculas de informatica que existen. Es la base de otras pelis como Terminator o Matrix. Brutal la frase de la maquina, la unica forma de ganar es no jugar refiriendose a la guerra nuclear.

Mario Alba said...

No tengo nada contra ella; es que hace mucho tiempo que la vi. De hecho, no recuerdo nada de nada, excepto porque creo que sale Matthew Broderick, no?

Nash said...

Sip, en uno de sus mejores papeles, claro que de las pelis que ha hecho solo tiempos de gloria, todo en un dia y lady halcon merecen la pena.

Mario Alba said...

Creo que no he visto Tiempos de gloria. De hecho, ni sé qué película es. Las otras dos, clásicos imperecederos.

alberto said...

si no recuerdo mal, tiempos de gloria es la que hace de oficial del ejercito de la unión en una compañía segregada de soldados negros, durante la guerra civil.
me atrevo a decir tambien que salía denzel washington, pero no estoy seguro.

y lo de la frase de WOPR (nombre de la "supercomputadora" de juegos de guerra; desafortunado, por cierto) está bien, pero sólo falta que saque una guitarrita y se ponga a cantar el kumbayá.

Nash said...

Muy bien Alberto solo te falta decir que tambien sale en la peli Morgan Freeman. Y Mario deberias verla.

Anonymous said...

Pues yo Juegos de guerra no la veo desde que tenía 15 años como mucho, pero la recuerdo como aburridísima. ¿No era la del tres en raya?

Mario Alba said...

¿No había unos ordenadores?

Nash said...

Habia ordenadores y jugaba al tres en raya para aprender que no siempre se puede ganar, ya que hay que ser un burro para perder a las tres en raya. Y de aburridisima no tiene nada, claro que si no entiendes de ordenadores no tiene la misma gracia.