Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Master Merchant

Something's recently gotten into me --a merchant spirit I didn't know I had in me. This feeling could also be called the "let's get rid of stuff I don't need and make some money instead" syndrome, something pretty new to me, as I tend to keep everything I buy. Well, maybe not anymore.

Last week, I went to McKay's and sold a few CDs I didn't care for and hadn't really listened to in years, and if that was surprising (and believe me, it was), what I did next was even more shocking: I got rid of some DVD sets. Crazy, right? Truth be told, I had already sold the first season of Nip/Tuck last year, and even though I thought that was an isolated phenomenon, I was wrong. The horrendous first season of Hex followed suit not too long ago, but my thirst for selling DVDs couldn't be quenched. Only thus can I explain why I sold the first seasons of BattleStar Galactica and Veronica Mars, which I had bought and enjoyed very much. However, I bought those two a long time ago, and while I kept telling myself I would go back and buy the remaining seasons, it never quite happened. This, combined with the certain knowledge I wouldn't be watching any of the episodes I already had again, helped me make a decision which wasn't all that painful to begin with.

What might come as more of a shock is what I sold next: Firefly. I know everybody thinks it's so good and all that, and while I think it could have been a terrific series, the first (and, thanks to Fox, only) season was --just okay. So I sold it. And, much to my honest surprise, that wasn't the last Joss Whedon show to go. Can you guess what I'm going to tell you next? I sold Buffy.

Actually, I only owned seasons five, six, and seven, and even though I kept telling myself I would get around to buying the first four one of these days, it never happened. Even when the first four seasons went on sale at Walmart for fourteen bucks each, I didn't buy them. Even though the price has stayed the same for about two years, I still haven't felt like buying them. And when you take into account that those seasons are by far the best ones, and I still wasn't buying them, well, it got me thinking. And then it got me selling.

Isn't there anything sacred?, you might ask. Well, of course there is. I would never sell Angel. I would never part with The X-Files. Scrubs and Futurama will always have a place on my shelf. But hey, is that eight seasons of Smallville I see over there? Hmmm...

6 comments:

Nash said...

Has vendido Firefly, que tio sin sentimientos, me parece lamentable. Ya te arrepentiras. Una cosa es que vendas las series malas pero las que te han gustado??? Dentro de poco empezaras a vender libros, comics, las laminas de los autores, pondras cuadros de verdad y veras las noticias.
Tu fin se acerca.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Espero que no :)

Anonymous said...

Euhhh... A punto he estado de cortarme las venas con esto. Vende Nip/Tuck, me parece bien. Acepto BSG y VM. Si me apuras, hasta cierto punto te permito que te deshagas de Firefly.

¿¡Pero Buffy!? ¿!¿!BUFFY!?!?

¿Acaso estamos locos?

¿Te has deshecho de BUFFY?

No sé con qué cara piensas ir a la Comic Con este verano, la verdad. Vergüenza.

Mario Alba said...

HAHAHAHA. Ya me imaginaba que el shock que ibas a sufrir te iba a dejar al borde de la apoplejía. En mi defensa diré que me he deshecho de Buffy para tal vez un día comprarme la BuffyBox o como se llame con la serie al completo en uno de esos increíbles deals of the day en Amazon. Además, no es como si hubiera vendido la segunda temporada, hombre. Vendí las menos buenas, y gracias a eso Crystal y yo cenamos estupendamente y encima me compré Chew, trade al que me muero de ganas de hincarle el diente (pun intended) a ver si es tan bueno como dicen.

Y, ahora que lo pienso, supongo que también tendré que vender la camiseta de Buffy, hahahaha.

Jorge said...

Vender BSG es un sacrilegio sin posibilidad de redención. No hay confesión (en caso de que tuviera algún efecto en tu ya de por sí perturbado ser) alguna que pudiera remediar el nefasto crimen que has cometido. ¡¡¡BSG!!! ¡Por todos los demonios del abismo! Lucifer, Belcebú, Luzbel, Satanás...todos ellos que son uno mismo se han encarnado en tal despropósito. Estoy abatido...destrozado, incluso.

Mario Alba said...

Siento haber causado tal malestar, hahaha. Entre unos y otros, voy a acabar perdiendo alguna extremidad...