Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, February 06, 2010

Pulp Horror

I hadn't seen Creepshow in about twenty-five years, and I was eagerly anticipating the time when I would watch it again. I only had about three mental snapshots of different parts of the movie, and I wasn't even sure those pictures belonged in this film, but they did. Afraid that I would be disappointed, though, I tried not to get too excited about it, reminding myself that it was an old movie that was going to be terribly dated. But I needn't worry: every single one of the five stories in this collection was great fun to watch, and Creepshow definitely placed second (out of four) in last weekend's movie marathon.

For those of you who have forgotten, Creepshow was written by Stephen King and directed by the legendary George A. Romero, a team-up made in heaven… or perhaps hell. One way or the other, the movie made me smile like an idiot, and if I enjoyed the first story, Father's Day, I liked the second one (The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill, in which Stephen King is priceless as a yokel who finds himself in the center of a meteorite crash) even more. In an unexpected serious role, Leslie Nielsen was great in Something to Tide You Over, and The Crate proved to be the source of one of the aforementioned three mental snapshots. (The first one being Stephen King running around in his garden, and the second one a certain character buried in the sand.) Finally, They're Creeping up on You amped up the gross-out factor and closed the horror anthology in a satisfying manner.

Needless to say, I have Creepshow 2 lined up and ready to be watched, but those scares will have to wait until next week. It's going to be fun!

No comments: