Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, August 04, 2007

The World Is Not Enough

I first knew of the existence of The Complete War of the Worlds book back in 2004, when I heard that Steven Spielberg was going to direct his own version of H.G. Wells classic sci-fi tale. I had never read it, so I figured it was about time, and the excuse of that movie coming was more than perfect to let it pass.

While searching for the most adequate edition of the book at Amazon, I crossed paths with the one mentioned, which not only had the original text and the illustrations that accompanied it on its first edition, but also included the entire transcription of the Orson Welles infamous 1938 radio adaptation that got half the U.S. nation believing they were under a martian attack. In addition to that, it also had a bunch of articles on regarding the two W-men and the aforementioned consecuences of that radio broadcast and a Ray Bradbury foreword.
And, just in the case that wasn't good enough, the book came with a CD which included the whole original radio play, excerpts from interviews to Orson Welles... and even a clip from the only time that the two geniuses (for they indeed were geniuses) got reunited.
Pretty promising material to not have a look at it. I didn't buy it at first, because of its price and because I had other books way upper on my priorities list. But I knew I was eventually going to come back for it.
And come back for it I did. Almost three years later, but I did. And now that I've read the book from beginning to end and I've taken all the juice that can be taken out of the CD, it's only fair that I review it. So here we go...

I highly recommend you all science-fiction self-proclaimed fans to read H.G. Wells War of the Worlds if you still haven't done it. It won't take you long, because it's not that huge (as in hundred of pages huge) a story, but I've never seen such a pioneer text as this one. Well, as a matter of fact, I've seen them, but they're at the same level as this book. It just can't get more pioneery.
The way the story is told, just as if the main character was retelling true facts that he saw and suffered in the past, manages to add an incredible sense of realism to it. The narrative has that distinctive XIX century flavor to it, that I personally like a lot, and it follows a steady rythm until the very last page. So, here you have an interesting and more or less fast-paced story about a martian invasion of the earth. What's there not to like about that?
On regarding the Orson Welles (who at the time was only 23 years old) and Howard Koch (who later would win an Oscar for his script of Casablanca) adaptation of Wells' work in the form of a radio dramatization, two things have called my attention. First of all, the play is superbly conceived, taking from the book those very few parts that it could use, rewriting the most of it, and waving it all in the form of newsflashes that aim for the credibility, and very well could confuse its audience on regarding the veracity of what they were hearing.
The second thing is, despite what I've just said, is that people can show incredible degrees of stupidity. How could half a country fall for that? I know, as the book very well explains, that they were living in a time of pre-war tensions. I know they didn't have the variety and quantity of mass communication we now can enjoy. That is, mainly the Internet. But they for sure had more than one radio channel. And it's not like they hadn't been warned, because the station they were on, the CBS, had announced the War of the Worlds adaptation for that day, and they even reminded its audience before, during and at the end of the program that what they were hearing wasn't real. And yet, people drove their cars until the point of running out of gas; people got on their knees and prayed for all they were worth; and people barricaded and organized themselves in small parties to try to repel the invaders.
Now I know better the power, the influence, that the mass has on the single person. If you see one person running, you don't even blink; if you see ten persons, you might start wondering something's happening; but if the whole block is running, then I bet you're going to start running too. I know I would do it.

The most and only disappointing thing I've found in the whole book/CD package is that the audio interviews of the two W-men are as a matter of fact very short clips that don't add too much to the whole thing. I would have preferred a two-set CD (even at the cost of some more money out of my pockets) to be able to listen them in their entirety.
All in all, The Complete War of the Worlds is a must read/hear if you like sci-fi, literature or radio. Which I suppose you do, since you're reading this. The only regret I have with it is that I didn't buy it earlier.


By the way, as a Post Scriptum, I would like to claim how good a movie Spielberg's War of the Worlds for me is. On the essence, it's faithful to the book, and it sure is a great visual ride filled with tension and top notch moments. I just can't understand why has such poor ratings on web pages such as IMDb or Rotten Tomatoes. And I know that I'm going to win for myself a lot of criticising for this, but I got to say it: Tom Cruise is not one of the greatest actors of all time, granted, and I couldn't care less about his personal life, but, proffesionally, he's an example to follow.

11 comments:

huitzilin said...

Back in the late 80s, I remember that a local radio station played the Orson Welles version in its entirety, probably for an anniversary (maybe 50th?). I was quite young, but I remember having heard from my dad many times before how people had reacted when they heard the show. I wondered then how people could be so dumb. But then I heard the broadcast and I was totally intrigued. Even knowing what it was, I remember getting goosebumps and wondering, "What if...?"

I agree, this is really an excellent broadcast. I haven't read the book, not being generally a big science fiction fan, and I haven't seen the movie, not being able to tolerate Tom Cruise's big-nosed self. I would give Wells' book a chance before I'd see the movie, but if you insist that it's worthwhile, I may yet give it a shot.

(After all, I really liked I, Robot, right?)

Jorge said...

I was lucky enough to get a very good edition of "War of the Worlds" (but apparently yours is better Halagan grrrf!!)with its radio broadcasting (oh, yes, Mr. Welles!!) while I was living in the US. My flatmate gave it to me and I was totally shocked. When I played the radio show it was amazing to listen finally that mythic broadcasting. I totally agree with you Halagan, "War of the Worlds" is a fantastic book but if you have the chance to combine it with the radio broadcasting of that time, that´s just superb!

But I STRONGLY dissagree in the Spielberg´s version of the book. I think it´s just a crap boring movie. Sorry.

But I do like "I Robot", like Huitzlin

Mario Alba said...

I haven't read the book, so I guess I should do it. The radio broadcast I've always heard about (and I did remember Jorge got it a while ago) sounds intriguing, so I might get it in the near future.

Regarding the movie (and I do tolerate Tom Cruise, even if he's not in my Top Twenty Cool Actors), I thought it was just okay. It was intense (and freaking LOUD), but I have no interest in ever seeing it again. I disagreed with the heavy criticism it got, but I wouldn't get it on DVD either.

Something I didn't like about the movie (and I guess it's something straight out of the book) was the ending. I thought it was a really, really stupid way to solve the conflict. I mean, really.

Anonymous said...

Huitzilin, I also got a little goosebumpy while hearding it now, 69 years after it was first broadcasted, and full knowing that was I was hearding was a dramatization.
This book's quite cool because it narrates with an eye for detail the reactions of the people who heard and believe it.
There was even a radio station that did the same in Quito like a decade after it. When the people who had panicked discovered that it was all a lie, they burned the radio offices, killing several of its employees. Sad, but true.

About the movie, I still think it's great enough to rent it, but I would read the book before. They're very different one from another, though, so you won't be missing much depending on the order you choose.

About the sci-fi fanness (that´s a gross word I've written), good stories are good stories, be that they talk about flying saucers, or about a gay romance.

Jorge, I very well know how you feel about the WotW book/radio dramatization pairing. I mean, we're talking about The Time Machine, The island of Dr. Moreau and The Invisible Man writer H.G. Wells in combined forces with theater, radio and cinema masterworks creator Orson Welles.

On regarding Spielberg's movie, I expected this STRONGLY dissagreements. That's why I added the PS for.
Anyway, that I think it's a great movie it's totally true. And, of course, don't be sorry for thinking otherwise. Solo faltaría.

Fel, yes you should read the book. I mean, I'm reading all that you throw to my face, ain't I? Slowly, but surely I'm doing it.

About the movie's ending, yes, it's taken straight out of the book. Morgan Freeman's narration is completely comprised of fragments from it.
And, as a matter of fact, I think it would have been very difficult to find anything more brilliant as a solution.
Independence Day ending. Now that was crap.

Jorge said...

H.G. Wells is a master of science-fiction. The first one who wrote about that on a regular basis. I mean, he created a tradition altogether and from now on we refer to science fiction repeating many of his books or ideas in "new" remakes. By the way, my brother gave me a book called "Universal History" or something like that for Christmas, don´t have it right here with me, written by Mr. Welles. It´s quite an old book, 1920, very interesting because it´s something totally different of what I was get used to read of Wells. It was very popular in late 19c to write "A History of..." and Mr. Wells couldn´t resist...I guess...

Mario Alba said...

Okay, I'll read the book...

But I completely disagree: I really don't think the author could have found anything dumber than that to solve the conflict.

(IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW THE STORY ENDS, STOP READING THIS COMMENT NOW. IF YOU DO, GO AHEAD.)

I mean, we are presented with an alien civilization that has been planning the conquest of Earth for millennia, burying their machines and getting everything ready. It is a race that's far more advanced than us, and apparently smarter than humans. And they don't think about bacteria or diseases they could be affected by? Come on! I don't believe that. First of all, there must have been something like that in their planet, so they must have known they would find something similar on Earth. And even if they're dumb enough not to have thought of this (which is extremely unlikely given how intelligent the species is), they didn't see any trace or evidence of these viruses while they were exploring Earth or waiting to attack? During thousands of years? Come on!

Anonymous said...

Jorge: I didn't know about that Universal History Wells' book, but it seems interesting. I way prefer his fiction to his more political texts, but maybe I'll check it out.

Fel: well, if you put it that way... I know there's some incongruences there, but, the way I see it, they're all minor ones.
Anyway, when I say that that solution is the best one hands down, I'm talking about the narrative feeling of the story. It feels right, as it is said in both the book and the movie, that (SPOILERS A-COMING) "they were undone, destroyed, after all of man's weapons and devices had failed, by the tiniest creatures that God in his wisdom put upon this earth". The only thing I couldn't have liked less, was that Justin Chatwin's character survived at the end.

Jorge said...

Finn5fel, I have to admit it´s a good point what you argue about WOTW´s ending.

But isn´t it interesting that kind of poetic justice? I mean, after all the struggles, battles, all the war machinery that poor humans used to tackle the aliens...after all that the tiny bacteria gave us a hand kicking aliens asses! I mean don´t you think there is somewhat like a moral or something? I believe here Mr. Wells was laughing at the pretended supremacy that humans enjoy in Earth. Who are the rulers here, we humans or THEM insects, bacteria, etc...?? Just some thoughts I wanted to share about the end...

Mario Alba said...

I see your point, Jorge, and yeah, there is some kind of petic justice to it all. However, I still think it's not a very good ending. I'll buy that a technologically superior species comes to Earth and plans its conquest (I can suspend my disbelief like nobody's business). But I find it hard to swallow that these creatures don't think of bacteria. That stretches my suspension of disbelief way too much.

Anonymous said...

Well, Fel, if I recall it right, in the book is stated that the martians didn't have any of those back in their home environment. That is, they couldn't have thought of it because they didn't know they existed on the first place. I know that's not a point too convincing, though.

Anyway, I'm totally here with Jorge's "poetic justice" poin of view. Sometimes is better to forget the small plot holes (but only the small ones) and go for the story meaning.

By the way, I can't remember reading or hearing any statement about the aliens exploring the Earth before the attack. Not to talk about doing that during thousands of years. Are you sure, Fel, you're thinking martian and not Yuuzhan Vong here?

:P

Mario Alba said...

Hahahaha. It could be...