Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Not Quite a Con

We got our Yearbooks today, and the students went crazy. Everybody was asking all their friends to sign theirs --you know how it is. I am glad to say that many girls (the ones that don't hate my guts, obviously) wanted me to sign their books as well. I did (with great pleasure), and I started doing little doodles for them (my face saying "hi", for the most part). The girls seemed to like it, and they started to tell their friends about it, so more and more students started to come. Obviously, this was the biggest ego booster I've gotten in the last few weeks, and I was glad to draw stuff for them. But I got tired of drawing my stupid face all the time, and I started to ask them what they wanted me to draw. And all of a sudden, word that I was drawing pictures for everybody in their Yearbooks was out, and students started to arrive in flocks and crowd around me. And I mean, really: not only my students, or girls I know, but girls I didn't even know.
I was working with just a couple of pens (blue and pink, as it happens), and I was drawing as fast as I could, so the pictures were more like sketches than anything else. And yet they loved them. As far as I can remember, I drew three Spidermans, one Batman, one Venom, three unicorns, two puppies, two hippos, one motorcycle, one cello, one alien, one hot guy, one Buffy, a few random girls, two donkeys, one llama, one parrot, one baseball player, two dinosaurs, one fish, and one walrus. There might be something else, but I can't remember. At any rate, it was fun, and I was very glad to see the girls liked what I was doing. Maybe this will be good advertising for the school club I'll be starting next year: the Cartooning Club! Also, it was a challenge, drawing for a live audience, taking their requests, and sketching with pens and no way to erase my mistakes: no pressure, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jo, menuda experiencia. Exhaustante y egoinflante. Asumiendo que las "few random girls" hayan sido solo unas cuatro, tu recuento marca ¡30 dibujos! Y eso sin contar tus caras sonrientes.

De nuevo, mi más profunda admiración. :)

Mario Alba said...

Hahahahaha. Nada, nada: todo lo que sea darme coba es bienvenido.

Coñas aparte, fue divertido, aunque algún que otro dibujo, cuando lo hube terminado, lo miraba y no podía dejar de pensar lo infame que era. Pero bueno. Un montón de dibujos, eso sí.