Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Dangerous Curves

I recently reread the original Danger Girl series, by master penciller J. Scott Campbell, and it made me both happy and sad. I was glad because Danger Girl is one (if not the) of my favorite comic books of all time. The artwork is truly gorgeous, the action is fantastic, the story is fun, and the pace is dynamic and relentlessly driven by an energy that seems to come both from the page layouts, the frantic action, and Campbell's incredibly kinetic style. Danger Girl is plain fun, a rollercoaster ride that grabs your attention and forces you to keep turning pages. It is fantastic, a phenomenal book.
All this goodness, however, made me yearn for more of Campbell's artwork, which is just not going to happen in the foreseeable future. Complaining about his (lack of) output has become second nature to me, and it really is a shame. He's the most talented comic book artist I know, yet he barely does anything other than the occasional cover. I know he's working on Spiderman now, even though what he should be doing is finishing the ridiculously delayed Wildsiderz. Scratch that. Actually, he shouldn't be doing Wildsiderz because that book should have been finished years ago. And about Spiderman, from what Marvel has said, it's taken him about a year to finish his first Spidey issue. Now there's something I can believe, because it certainly matches his MO (even though you could argue he would need to "operate" for him to have a MO, but hey).
Also, the quality of this first adventure of Abbey and friends made me realize that, while Back in Black and Body Shots (so far) are fun reads (and I never read Kamikaze, Hawaiian Punch, or Viva Las Danger --compiled here), they are nowhere near as good as this first run: a terrific read that's fun, exhilarating, and beautifully rendered. So, if you haven't done so yet, go read it. You won't regret it.

No comments: