Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, May 26, 2007

At Patience's End

I was going to see Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End on Thursday evening, but I was too tired and, fearing I would have to struggle not to fall asleep, decided against it. Instead, I went to see it on Friday, and I think it's a good thing I did. Had I seen it on Thursday, I would have blamed myself for what I would have thought of the film. "Maybe I was too tired," I would have told myself. "You didn't enjoy it because you were falling asleep," I would have argued. "You'll like it better when you see it again," I would have claimed. But since I saw it on Friday with all my senses alert, there is no excuse: this film should be the last Pirates movie. Please.

At World's End is almost three hours long, and I have no problems with long movies, as long as they draw me into the universe they portray. However, I basically spent said three hours thinking "Now it's going to get better. Now it's going to be funny." It didn't get better, though. And maybe worst of all, it didn't get funny. It actually reminded me of its trailer quite a bit. When I first saw the trailer, I shrugged and thought "Well, I guess they're keeping the good stuff for later." Watching the movie, I had the exact same feeling. A shame there was no "later" after the movie was over.

Since this is a spoiler-free review (as we always do in Sunny Jhanna), there are many things I can't talk about, but I can say that several characters from previous installments don't have the screen time I would have liked them to have, while some others spend way too much time on screen. That is one thing I didn't like, but the main problem was that I didn't care for the story. Just like in the previous films, there is crossing and double-crossing, but the term "double-crossing" is a gross understatement when applied to this movie: there're so many double-, triple-, and quadruple-crossings that you decide not to care and just go along. You start not caring who's working with who, and who's against who. And then, characters you don't care at all jump to the fore, and the combination of story you don't care for and characters you don't care about either proves deadly. To sum this point up, At World's End -just like Davey Jones, and unlike the two previous films- has no heart: it's just an empty shell that leaves you indifferent.

The second problem, and related to this lack of heart, is the lack of audacity. The first two movies left me open-mouthed, unable to believe the audacity of the visuals, the stunts, and the crazy situations the characters found themselves in. I couldn't get my head around how somebody would have the courage and the sheer nerve to come up with outrageous ideas like those, put them in film, and make them work (undead pirates swordfighting, the famous rolling wheel, Jack's escape from the native islanders). But all of a sudden, the movie makers decided to get serious and conservative, and thus At World's End has no such scenes, not even one. Everything feels dull, repetitive; it has a nasty smell of been there, done that --and when they did it the first time it was much better. There is no sense or feeling of exhilarating, rioutous adventure. Instead, we get a story relentlessly and clumsily plodding forward, trying to get the job done and make it work. But it doesn't.

Finally, the third and maybe worst problem is that At World's End is just not fun (or funny). I laughed out loud with Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest. The dialogue was witty, the situations hilarious, the surprises fun and exciting. With At World's End, I laughed out loud once in three hours. I won't say the other jokes and comedic moments fell flat, but I just smiled or chuckled, somewhat amused, instead of roaring with the laughter that possessed me while watching the first two films. And don't even get me started on the monkey: I could have killed that little bastard every time he was onscreen.

I thought the best thing in the movie was Davey Jones, not only because he looks cool, but because of his acting and his subplot (the only compelling one). And he was still affected by not enough time on screen and way too many other things going on. Every time he showed up I kept thinking "Now it's going to get better." And it did, for as little time as Captain Squid was the main focus of attention. But that was too little.

Being nitpicky, the five endings were sort of anticlimatic. It seems The Return of the King made it okay for movies to have a gazillion "final scenes", and if Spiderman 3 wasn't enough proof of that, At World's End gives us another chance to wonder "Why didn't they stop there?" And since we're talking about endings, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies always have a hidden scene after the credits, so stick around to see this one: it certainly is the most relevant out of the three.

So no heart, no audacity, no comedy, no compelling story, not enough Davey Jones. Heck, not even the music was as good as it had been before! All these ingredients make for a dull movie that seems even worse because of its length. I was hoping I would go see it three times like I did with Curse and Chest, but, as it happens, once was more than enough. Before it opened, I was rooting for it to break Spiderman 3's records -which it got by breaking Dead Man's Chest's-, but now that I've seen both, Spiderman 3 is a much better movie, so I'm not sure what I want now. Well, as a matter of fact, I do: I want them to stop making Pirates movies, something I never thought I would say. The first two were fantastic, truly terrific films. This one is sort of okay at best, and that's being generous. Maybe if it had been the first movie, I would have been somewhat impressed. But after seeing the first two, this is just a half-assed attempt at… what? Making more money? Finishing the trilogy? Giving us more Sparrow than we can stand? Boring the audience? In that, they succeeded.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I didn't see that coming. I was a bit skeptical from your not very passionate "I've seen it, I'll post about it" comment yesterday. But, I mean, you're begging for the Pirates saga to end here!

Without having seen the movie, the one of your complaints that I relate to the most is the one about the lack of audacity. The first time I saw POTC2, I kinda found it hard to buy all the endless spectacularity from scenes such as, yes, the wheel scene. But, the second time I saw it, I sort of fell into the flow of it. I understood it. That's the spirit of these movies. The exhilarating exaggeration and the unrestrained madness. That's what makes them work.
Now, if this movie is not like that, well, they've killed its spirit.

What I don't understand is: Didn't they filmed Dead Man's Chest and this one at the same time? Then how can they be so different from each other?

Anyway, I'm probably still going to see it next week. But I'm definitely not feeling like it as strongly as I did before.

Mario Alba said...

Go see it, and I truly hope you enjoy it more than I did.

You say one very true thing: they killed the Pirates spirit; they really did. I spent the whole movie thinking "This is not a Pirates movie. It's an action/adventure movie with pirates in it."

At some point (and I'm not spoiling anything, don't worry) Jack says something like "It's a good thing I'm crazy, because, if I wasn't, this wouldn't work". And I think that's exactly what's wrong with the movie: it's not crazy like the previous films, so it doesn't work.

They shot DMC and AWE back to back, yes, and the reason why this movie sucks but DMC rocks is because AWE is totally unnecessary. Let me explain. I was discussing the movie with my sister (on the phone), and I said something I believe is true: if you actually get the elements in AWE that are relevant and necessary to continue and finish DMC's story, you would only have around 20 minutes worth of film. What Gore Verbinski and his crew should have done was make DMC a bit longer (maybe 3 hours instead of 2 and a half), and finish it then. By doing that, DMC would still have been the awesome movie it is, and it would have an end, thus rendering AWE completely unnecessary. However, it's better to make twice as much money with two movies instead of just one, I guess. Maybe the production costs went so high they realized they could only get their money back with two movies instead of just one, and decided to stretch the story and make two. Because, let's face it, Elliott and Rossio admit (in one of the DMC making of's on the DVD) that they started shooting DMC without a finished script. What would be easier than stretching and adding stuff as needed?

Let me know what you think when you see it. Let me know if you don't think that 20-30 minutes of AWE extracted and added to DMC would make DMC better (if would give it closure, if ending up a bit too long) and make AWE disappear. If only that had been the case...

Anonymous said...

If I finally go see POTC3, I'll let you know. But that's a very bad sign when you can cut a movie's length and that way make it better than it originally was. I remember that there was a fan-edited version of The Phantom Menace, which was supposed to be a much better movie than the original one. Of course, it had removed almost all of the scenes with Jar Jar and Anakin.

BTW, it sounds as if, after the success of The Curse of the Black Pearl they had an after story planned, which it ended up being too lenghty for one only sequel, but way too short for two more movies. So they simply filled this third one with, well, what they could.
Then again, I still haven't seen it. Time will probably prove me wrong.

Mario Alba said...

I hadn't heard about that fan-edited Phantom Menace, but it's hard to imagine a worse version of the movie, so I'm sure The Fan Cut is better.

And, like I said, go see Pirates 3 and tell me what you think. I amcurious.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, old man, but I disagree. I disliked POTC2 because of the campy silliness (the rolling wheel). POTC3 at least has a plot, even though you would forgo the plot for hilarity. I was also glad to see that Kiera had put on some weight so she looked human again. I found the monkey funny as always.

I agree this movie was too long. Something could have been eliminated to help there. As for special effects, the maelstrom is something to behold and provides the "escape from reality" sequence you seem to need to feel whole.

I think you and I just have a different approach to movies in general. I liked POTC3 and the Star Wars trilogy but hated POTC2 and Spiderman 3. Viva la difference!

Mario Alba said...

YES! I made you post, hehehe!

I agree with part of what you say, and disagree with some other things. Let's see...

1. I don't think POTC2 was campy, but I'll admit to some silliness.

2. POTC3 had a plot, no argument there, but it was convoluted, boing, and uninspired.

3. POTC2 (and the first one, for that matter) also had plots, and they were good. PLUS, they were also funny, which POTC3 is not. I admit that I like humor in my movies, but that doesn't mean nonsensical comedy should replace plot. I think the first two movies managed to combine and balance both very well. The third one fails miserably, though.

4. I agree that Keira Knightley looked better with some weight on (that's not even an argument), even though (a) I'm not too fond of her; and (b) the hats she wore were rather silly.

5. The monkey was funny in the first two movies, but overdone in POTC3. The moviemakers saw it elicited some laughs in the previous installments, and went crazy in the third one. It didn't work.

6. The "maelstrom sequence" was okay, but not as cool or with as much impact as it could have been. Maybe I thought it was too grounded on reality, hahahaha.

7. Yes, it was looooooong, but it would have been okay if it wasn't boring. Look at The Two Towers or Braveheart: three hours that fly by. POTC3, not so much.

8. Maybe we do have a different approach to movies, even though there are (I'm sure) plenty of movies we both like. Like the wonderful 300 we both enjoyed.

Thanks for posting!

Dr. Banting said...

Vean "Zodiac".

Me parecio muy entretenida y bien hecha.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see POtC3 tomorrow. I'm pretty curious, because I don't know what the hell to expect. Will it please me? Will it bore me?

Or maybe I should hear Quique and go see Zodiac. I've only heard good words about it, and I was planning doing it anyway.

Or, will 300 be a better choice? I'm lost here. What do you suggest people?

Mario Alba said...

I haven't seen Zodiac, but 300 is WAY better than POTC3. Having seen both, my choice would be 300; then Spidey 3.

Anonymous said...

Right now I want to see 300. But the movie I'll finally see will depend on the other people I'll go with. Anyway, I'm still probably going today or maybe tomorrow. I'll let you know very soon.

Mario Alba said...

Tell us! TELL US!

Anonymous said...

I´ll do. The moment you let me post. Two pretty anxious people, you are. ;P

Mario Alba said...

Nada, nada: todo tuyo es mañana.