Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Sunday, January 07, 2007

My 2006 Top 10 Books

At some point I said I wanted to write my 2006 Top 10 Books. That doesn't mean they were published in 2006 (even though about half of them were), but that I read them in 2006. There's fantasy, humor, sci-fi, thrillers, and non-fiction, so, if nothing else, the list is somewhat varied. There you go:

1. His Majesty's Dragon, by Naomi Novik.
The first book in the Temeraire series, I already commented on it here. And the second book is almost as good as this one.
2. Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett.
The penultimate DiscWorld novel so far, this one is a stand-alone book about establishing the first post office in Anhk-Morpork. Like The Truth, one of the best Discworld books I've read, and I've read a lot of them. Hilarious.
3. The Plot to Save Socrates, by Paul Levinson.
I saw it on Entertainment Weekly, and I thought it sounded interesting. Well, I was right. I also mentioned it recently here.
4. Cell, by Stephen King.
His new book after completing the Dark Tower series, it's a terrific read, and a good argument against abusing cell phones.
5. Dispatch, by Bentley Little.
Recommended by King, I read Dispatch and enjoyed it so much that I read three or four more books by him. Thrilling, chilling, and tremendously entertaining.
6. Altered Carbon, by Richard K. Morgan.
A supremely entertaining sci-fi story that brings to mind Phillip K. Dick. I hope they make a movie out of it, cause it could be great.
7. Perfect Dark: Initial Vector, by Greg Rucka.
Following the story of the Perfect Dark videogame, this book is surprisingly good. Fast-paced, compelling, and ridiculously entertaining, you could do worse than reading it.
8. King Dork, by Frank Portman.
A teenager in a high school, having teenage problems (sex) and teenage obsessions (sex). This book is so funny you'll be laughing out loud every other paragraph. Name of the band: Tennis with Guitars. Solid.
9. Whispers, by Dean Koontz.
The oldest book in the list, Whispers is a solid thriller by well-known author Dean Koontz. The ending was not as surprising as I would have liked, but the book is so intense you'll enjoy it immensely.
10. The Mother Tongue, by Bill Bryson.
Bill Bryson is a hilarious writer, and if you haven't read A Walk in the Woods or In a Sunburned Country, you owe yourself the pleasure. This book is a non-fiction book about how the English language originated and evolved. Sounds boring? Well, just read it and find out how wrong you were.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, it´s gonna be time soon for me to post my 2006 favourite books too. Well, I think that's going to be all the books I've read, counting no more than twelve or thirteen, I can't remember.

Mario Alba said...

That's cheating, hahaha. If you read 13, you should write a Top 5 instead of a Top 10!

Anonymous said...

Okay, then I'll write a post about ALL the books I've read last year, not only the best ones. Got more complaints?

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. I´m just teasing. Do as many as you want to. Top 10, Top 13, Top 43. The more, the merrier.

Anonymous said...

The more, the merrier. Hehehe. Okay, it's gonna be My 2007 Readings. All of them. Definitely.

huitzilin said...

Of your top 10, I have only read Whispers. But I remember that I really, really liked it.

Mario Alba said...

It is a cool book, Lori, I agree!

And Hal, if you're going to post your 2007 readings we'll have to wait until December, hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I suppose you're right. But you know what I meant. You do, right? Ehem. Maybe I need to buy me one Brain Trainer of those.

BTW, cheer up, Lori. I haven't read even a single one of finn5fel's 2007 top readings. I try keeping up with him. I always do my best. But it's kinda impossible. I mean, he read almost 60 books this year, and he told me past January that he was going to control himself!

Mario Alba said...

1. I know what you mean, yes.

2. I said I would read less than last year, and I did: like 3 or 4 fewer books.

3. You wrote 2007 AGAIN, hahaha!

4. Lori: I was reading Whispers when I went to see The Prestige. How funny is that? (If you haven't seen the movie, never mind.)

5. Creo que he roto el blog. Es la cuarta vez seguida que me sale "smenita" como palabra de validación. Y hablando de eso, ¿soy el único que mete la pata escribiendo la dichosa palabrita cada dos por tres? Porque mira que hay veces que es que ni se entiende lo que pone...

Anonymous said...

2007... Aargghh, otra vez... Tiene pinta de que éste va a ser un año de tropiezos para mí.

Por cierto, ayer también me pasó lo mismo con la dichosa palabrita "smenita" (aunque mejor es eso que algunas otras que aparecen de vez en cuando). Por suerte hoy ya está arreglado.

Mario Alba said...

Querida Smenita, te echaremos de menos...

Anonymous said...

Por cierto, acabo de empezarme The Plot to Save Socrates. Ya os contaré qué tal.

Mario Alba said...

Estupendo. Espero que te guste :)

huitzilin said...

No, no he visto The Prestige.

Y creo que yo sólo puedo hacer un top 5 de 2007. Gracias a la tesis doctoral, creo que mi lista sólo contiene 13 libros enteros. (Para no sentirme vaga, en mis listas de "Books I've Read In ____:" también incluyo una sección llamada "... and parts of:". Así me siento mejor. (Is that cheating?)

By the way: my word verification is yfuqmee. Maybe I have a dirty mind, but I'm definitely getting something here.

huitzilin said...

Shit! I wrote 2007, too!

Mario Alba said...

HAHAHAHAHA. Por partida doble: por the dirty mind (but I agree: it totally looks like something "interesting"), y por 2007.
And no, I guess we'll accept "parts of books".

Anonymous said...

JAJAJAJAJA!!!

Me reconforta ver que no soy el único que tiene lapsus temporales. La sombra del 2007 es alargada... (y eso que aún no llevamos ni quince días de año).

Mario Alba said...

Ya ves. Casi ni ha empezado el año y, como bien dices, vamos todos de cabeza.