Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, December 21, 2006

This Year's Books

As most of you know, I keep a list of everything I read -call it OCD if you will, you're probably right. Last night I started The Princess Bride, which will be my 56th book of the year if I manage to finish it by the 31st. I'm planning on writing a Top 10 with my favorite books of the year (and I encourage all of you to do the same), but today I'm showing you the books (55) and graphic novels/manga volumes (32) I've read this year. I've written them in the order I read them, but you'll see which ones are books and which ones are graphic novels. I'm not making links (cause it'd be 87 links), so if you're interested in any of the following titles, just check Amazon. Here we go:

The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy, Mano de sombra, Cell, X-treme Latin: Unleash Your Inner Gladiator, Seré amado cuando falte, A veces un caballero, Dead@17: The First Series, Girls vol. I: Conception, DiscWorld: Going Postal, The Colorado Kid, El oficio de oír llover, El burlador de Sevilla, Death Jr., Dead@17: Revolution, The Accidental, 1602, DearS 01, Shanna the She-Devil, Men and Cartoons, The Plot to Save Socrates, DearS 02, .Hack: Legend of the Twilight 1, .Hack: Legend of the Twilight 2, War of the Spider Queen V: Annihilation, .Hack: Legend of the Twilight 3, Angels & Demons, Van Von Hunter #1, DearS 03, Faith & Fire, Ultra: Seven Days, War of the Spider Queen VI: Resurrection, DearS 04, DearS 05, Dance of Death, Case Histories, The Da Vinci Code, Freshmen, The Enchanted Realm: The Art of Ed Beard Jr., The Isle of Stone, Mid-Life Confidential: The Rock Bottom Remainders Tour America with Three Chords and an Attitude, Gil Elvgren: All His Glamorous American Pin-ups, Dispatch, The Store, Practical Demonkeeping, The Association, Inverloch vol. 1, Dragonlance Chronicles: Dragons of Autumn Twilight (horrible), The Mother Tongue, The Policy, Serenity Falls Book I: Writ in Blood, Serenity Falls Book II: The Pack, Serenity Falls Book III: Dark Carnival, The Plucker, The Art of Darkwatch, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (at last!), King Dork, The Great American Pin-Up, Guilty Pleasures, Perfect Dark: Initial Vector, I’m a Stranger Here Myself, The Laughing Corpse, The Bartimaeus Trilogy I: The Amulet of Samarkand, Superman: Godfall, Altered Carbon, Human Torch: Burn, Spellbinders, Livewires, Piranesi: El planeta prisión, Ultimate Fantastic Four, vol. 5: Crossover, The Dead Zone, Ultimate Spider-Man TPB1, Runaways TPB1, DiscWorld: Thud!, Scorpion: Poison Tomorrow, StarCraft: Queen of Blades, Whispers, His Majesty’s Dragon (Temeraire Book I), New X-Men: Academy X: Choosing Sides, Fray, Lisey’s Story, World War Z, Inkheart, Inverloch vol. 2, Artists on Comic Art, Ultimate Fantastic Four, vol. 6: Frightful, Throne of Jade (Temeraire Book II), DiscWorld: Thief of Time.

11 comments:

Nash said...

Si no he entendido mal ya que no escribes en un idioma clara te empezaras a leer la princesa prometida? si es asi es un libro que esta muy bien pero sin duda lo mejor de todo es el prologo, el motivo por el que se puso a escribir el libro. Ya nos contaras q te parece.

Mario Alba said...

Sí, ése es. Ya te cuento luego.

Anonymous said...

Glad The Plot to Save Socrates was on your list!

Seasons greetings and all best wishes from the author!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mr. Levinson! Thank you for writing here. Such an honour.

In fact, finn5fel not only read your book, but also put such a good word in my ear that I'm buying and reading it any time soon. I will tell you all.

In other order of things, we all know finn5fel's insatiable thirst for reading. I'll try to post soon my ten favourite books of the year. It shouldn't be too difficult, having in mind that I've probably read twelve or thirteen, tops. Sad is the life of the survivor these days.

Jeje, por otra parte, tiene razón Nash en lo de no escribir en un idioma claro, finn5fel. Tendríamos que empezar a pensar bautizar este nuestro propio acronimizante y puyante idioma. ¿Alguien dijo sanyesco?

Anonymous said...

Por cierto, finn5fel, ¿alguna vez has oído hablar de las listas? Ésas que llevan guiones y está todo ordenadito y no duele la cabeza intentando entender lo escrito...
:P

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your good words, Halagan. If you do get a chance to read The Plot to Save Socrates, please do let me know how you like it.

By the way, since you enjoy science fiction, let me also recommend my blog on MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/twiceuponarhyme - and my weekly podcast, Light On Light Through at http://lightonlightthrough.com

Feel free - and of course finn5fel as well - to come by and put in a comment any time!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I will! And I know for sure that finn5fel will, too. I'm afraid I can't say the same of our dear Nash, because of his "I can't speak english properly" issue. Not his fault, but society's. Spanish society, to be more accurate.

Anonymous said...

Maybe one of you can arrange for a Spanish translation ...:)

(By the way, you can listen to me reading the first chapter ... if you scroll down to the bottom of my paullevinson.blogspot.com, you'll see an place where you can click.)

Mario Alba said...

The Spanish translation would be a phenomenal idea, Mr. Levinson. I live in Chattanooga, where I teach Spanish, and I'm always saying how sad it is that so many great fantasy and sci-fi books don't get to be read in Spain because there's no translation available. I love translating, and since I'd be doing it in my native language, it wouldn't be all that hard. I would love to be a part of the process to help more people read The Plot to Save Socrates!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a Spanish translation of The Plot to Save Socrates. My nonfiction books (The Soft Edge, Digital McLuhan, etc) have been translated into 12 languages (Chinese, Japanese, etc) but not yet Spanish. And my science fiction has been translated so far only into Polish.
(You can see the covers on my lightonlightthrough.com page - scroll down on the right.)

So the field's wide open for a Spanish translation of The Plot to Save Socrates.

But we'd need to get a publisher. Usually, the way these things work, the translating publisher (in this case, likely in Spain) gets the rights to the book, and that publisher then gives the book to a translater. But sometimes an author can put together a package with a translator already in place, and that can be presented to the translating publisher.

I'll talk to my agent about this after the New Year. In the meantime, if you can think of any publishers in Spain who might be interested in a Spanish edition of The Plot to Save Socrates, that would be helpful, too.

You can e-mail me any time, by the way, at PaulLevinson@lightonlightthrough.com

Mario Alba said...

I'll work on that and I'll let you know. I'll send you an email :)