Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Monday, December 25, 2006

GMeP: IaWL – The Richest Man In Town



I know I’m not being the most original man on earth today, December 25th, posting this Great Moment On Screen. But I can’t help myself. I just can’t. It’s a Wonderful Life may be the most aired film on Christmas day ever. And, with that and all, it’s still one of the great classics of all time. It’s still fresh and powerful, moving and, yes finn5fel, yes, also compelling.
It was premiered in 1946, and directed by Frank Capra, who was also responsible for other incredibly great films of the 30s and 40s such as Arsenic and Old Lace, It Happened One Night, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Or even for the delightful Pocketful of Miracles, in 1961.
I suppose all of you have seen the movie by now. All of you will know about the story of George Bailey, a good man who is driven to the verge of suicide to be saved by an angel who simply shows him what life on earth would had been if he had never been born. The video linked includes the nine last minutes of the film, so if any one of you still hasn’t watched IaWL, don’t dare pressing play, and instead go buying, renting, or even begging it. And watch it, enjoy it, and thank me later.
Merry Christmas, and, quoting Mr. Paul Levinson, “happy Hannukah, good Kwanzaa and successful Winter Solstice”. Or whatever you believe in. Just be happy.

PS.- No matter how many times do I see this scene, I always end crying like a baby. Such emotive, beautiful... Ehem... I think I’m going to watch football or something now.

PSS.- And, speaking of IaWL, take a look at what great editing can do on this other YouTube video.

6 comments:

Mario Alba said...

Man... I haven't seen this one either!
And by the way, thanks for the posts! It's hard to come up with ideas here in Spain, being away from all my stuff and my usual routine!

Anonymous said...

No problem either! I'm introducing you to new old master works, my young padawan. Now, you really got to see this one. Believe me.

And thanks for the thanks! But this blog is kind of my work and responsibility also, so... what could I do, if not this?

Merry Xmas, from New New York!

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. I know that. But still: good job!

alberto said...

Boy, I saw the film last night on NBC. That is a big piece of classic cinema - Mario, you have to see this one - that will make you believe in karma (if nothing else).

I also cried like a little girl... enough said

Mario Alba said...

How touching...

Anonymous said...

Alberto's right. GREAT movie that will make you believe in karma (hehehe). Or, better yet: in people.

And yes, is embarrasingly touching. I mean, I can't remember more than three or four movies with which I've cried seeing them. And one of them was "Aquí llega Condemor: El Pecador de la Pradera". But then again, I cried because of very different reasons...