Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Friday, January 08, 2010

Seasonal Fun

What better way to celebrate Christmas Eve than watching Religulous? This documentary written by Bill Maher looked like fun when it was released in theaters in 2008, but I never got a chance to go see it. I added it to my Netflix queue about six months ago, and what a priceless coincidence it was that I got it on December 24th.

Maher presents the thesis that mankind is doomed if they insist on being so fanatically religious, and then travels the world interviewing people about their beliefs. He defends the idea that the only sane thing to say about what happens after we die is that we don't know, but, needless to say, that is not what the interviewees claim. Maher never even pretends to be unbiased, and the whole thing is obviously played for laughs, and while I did laugh a lot, I found many people and statements deeply disturbing.

All in all, I had a good time watching it, and I would recommend it to people with a sense of humor and people who won't be offended when their beliefs are questioned. I think that makes about five in this very tolerant country.

5 comments:

Nash said...

Esta claro que fanaticos hay en todas partas lo mismo que cachondos mentales, la pregunta es si ese cachondo mental se molestaria si criticasen algo en lo que el cree de la misma manera que el hace.
Yo soy de los que piensa que de practicamente todo te puedes reir pero sin llegar a pasarse, pero es muy complicado encontrar el limite.

Mario Alba said...

Probablemente no :)

Anonymous said...

Lo que es para mí, cualquier aspecto de la vida está abierto a la crítica humorística. Incluso la muerte. Otra cosa es que hay momentos inapropiados. Al fin y al cabo no hay risa sana si no hay un respeto detrás.

Mario Alba said...

Estoy de acuerdo en que todo es "atacable"!

Anonymous said...

Si no fuera así, yo nunca me reiría...

Carmen.