Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Reading List: January

Last year I read a record 63 books, but I can already tell you I will not get even close to that figure in 2010, and it doesn't make me sad at all. At the rate I'm going, I think I'll read about a third of what I did in 2009, and that is fine by me. This is what I read in January:

X-Force, vol. 2: Old Ghosts
This second trade is still written Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle, but it is drawn by Mike Choi instead of Clayton Crane. I like Crane better, but Choi is also incredibly talented, so I enjoyed this book almost as much as the first trade. Like I said somewhere else, I never thought I'd be looking forward to reading X-Force ever again, yet here I am waiting for the third volume to come out!

The Sword, vol. 3: Earth
The Luna Brothers keep delivering the goods in the third trade of The Sword. As usual, I liked the story and dialogue a lot better than the artwork, and I can't wait to see how it all ends.

Madame Xanadu, vol. 1: Disenchanted
The guys at 11 O'Clock Comics kept recommending this book, so I went ahead and got it, and boy were they right. The story by Matt Wagner is great, and the artwork by Amy Reeder Hadley is unbelievably good. If you are interested in reading a good story mixing magic and the fate of different cultures and civilizations, do not hesitate and pick up Madame Xanadu. A terrific read!

Northlanders, vol. 1: Sven the Returned
Another 11 O'Clock Comics recommendation, Northlanders turned out to be an exhilarating read. I wasn't too sure about the artwork by Davide Gianfelice at the beginning, but it quickly grew on me and I ended up really liking it. However, it was the interesting story and awesome dialogue by Brian Wood that kept me turning the pages. Plus, it's a book about Vikings, which makes it even cooler.

Papel y plástico
This book by Oscar Lombana was a surprisingly nice walk down memory lane. Since it deals with toys from my childhood, I was elated to see lots of almost-forgotten stuff and how badly I used to like them and play with them, and for that if nothing else, it was worth reading.

The Chase
This book by Clive Cussler is basically a detective story in the West that takes place in the first decade of the 20th century. Needless to say, the mixture of a very appealing time period and the detective's attempts to stop a bank robber and murderer on a rampage made me enjoy this book immensely.

And that's it for January. I did not read a lot, but I really liked everything I read. Let's see what happens next month!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Fel.

No me puedo creer que en lo que ha dado de si Enero me haya leido tantos libros como tú. Vale que en comics me ganas, pero lo que ha sido en libros... Bueno, que me hace ilusión.

Otra cosa es que ahora en Febrero vuelvas con ganas de venganza. Voy preparándome.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Me alegro de que estés contento. Me hubiera gustado leer más, pero, visto lo visto, parece que ésta va a ser la norma en vez de la excepción. Ya veremos qué pasa en febrero, pero anticipo algo parecido...