Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Rock Me

It's taken me twenty-five years, but I finally watched Amadeus, a movie I had always wanted to watch but never had. Fortunately, the good folks at Netflix sent it to me, and I spent the two and a half hours the movie lasts glued to the couch.

I didn't know what to expect, and I certainly didn't know Amadeus won the Oscar for best movie and best director (Milos Forman) when it was released. Or that F. Murray Abraham won an Oscar for his portrayal of the bitter Salieri, who narrates the story and comments on those events as they unfold.

You guys have probably seen this movie already, so I'm curious to know what you thought. I thought the acting was great, the story interesting, and Mozart was both likable and aggravating, a conflicted figure who thinks he should be doing better than he is but seems to have a knack to sabotage his own efforts no matter what he does. At the same time, his honesty, his passion, and his willingness to tell it as he sees it (even to the king!) made me not only relate to him but root for him as well. Except when he was being an idiot and neglecting his wife --that I didn't endorse.

So, it took me twenty-five years, but I'm glad I corrected that mistake. I wonder what other classics I'm missing!

10 comments:

alberto said...

Lori would say you are missing those Ivory-Merchant classics like "A Room with a View" or "Passage to India". I wouldn't... if you, like I, didn't quite get EM Forster in book form, the film is not going to make much better.

Amadeus is really cool. Is it me, or this was sort of a movie version of a stage play? I have always been curious as to what that play may have been like....

Oh, and I always liked Salieri. I think is a perfect depiction of what human nature is.

Nash said...

A mi me gusto cuando la vi hace ya casi mil años, el prota lo hacia genial y si no viste esta peli no pillas el chiste de el último gran heroe una de las mejores pelis del gobernador de la soleada california.

Mario Alba said...

I think I'll leave the Ivory-Merchant films alone for the time being, thank you very much. Amadeus, however, was really cool, I agree.

The movie is indeed an adaptation from a play. According to IMDB.com, "Milos Forman and Peter Shaffer spent four months adapting the very stylized play into a workable script. They added characters such as the priest, maid, archbishop, and mother-in-law; Mozart's character was enlarged beyond Salieri's perceptions; and Salieri's monologues were reworked visually."

Something else that I discovered on IMDB is that Mark Hamill lobbied to play Mozart in the movie. Can you imagine that? I can picture Salieri telling Mozart "Amadeus, I am your father."

Y de Last Action Heroe no recuerdo nada de nada de nada.

Anonymous said...

What other classics are you missing, Fel? Oh, uh, I don't know, maybe...

A Clockwork Orange and Spartacus?

Ehem. Just saying.

Anonymous said...

Es indiscutible que Amadeus es un peliculón como la copa de un pinaco bien alto. Y FMA se ganó el Oscar a pulso. Igual que Milos Forman, o Peter Shaffer el suyo por el mejor guión adaptado. Apasionante película.

En cuanto a Last Action Hero, ya te la estás añadiendo en tu Netflix, Fel. Siempre ha sido una de mis tres o cuatro películas favoritas de Schwarzenegger (y hablamos del tío que aparte hizo las dos Terminator, Predator o True Lies). Te vas a reir lo tuyo con ella.

Mario Alba said...

Si verla la he visto. Otra cosa es que me acuerde de algo, que no es el caso ;)

Y de las de Kubrick no digo nada...

Nash said...

A mi me encanta el último gran heroe me encanto, creo que lo hizo muy bien el amigo Schwarzenegger riendose de sus propias peliculas.
Kubrik es para mi capaz de lo mejor y lo peor...como casi cualquier director.

Anonymous said...

Pues no sé, yo no soy capaz de recordar una peli de Kubrick que no me gustara nada. Incluso 2001. Aún no entiendo de qué va, pero me parece espectacular.

Anonymous said...

Yo aún no me creo que no hayas visto La naranja mecánica finn... o Espartaco...

No, no me lo creo...

Carmen.

Mario Alba said...

Están en mi lista de Netflix! Las veré pronto!