Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mean Bloodsuckers

Who would have thought I would go to the movies to see an Australian movie about vampires? Well, Daybreakers opened last weekend, and I thought I'd go check it out. I had seen the preview once (and with no sound, at that), so I didn't exactly know what to expect, which is not a bad thing.

It's hard to talk about this movie without spoiling anything, so suffice it to say that the film takes place in the very near future, and most everyone has been turned into vampires. I know, I know --it's the vampire craze and all that, but at least these are feral beasts, not sissy suckers, which makes it all right in my book.

The movie wasn't great, I'll tell you that right now, but it was entertaining and fairly original, and for that I liked it. Ethan Hawke did a good job as the main character, and Willem Dafoe had several funny lines that made me laugh out loud. The ending, I think, was left a bit dangling, and I think the movie would have benefited for a longer epilogue, maybe just two or three more minutes to flesh out what's to come. Still, I had a good time at the movies, and even though I doubt Daybreakers will make it to my Top Ten list this year, it certainly won't be in the Bottom Ten either.

No comments: