Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Reading List: October

What have I been reading during October, you ask? Other than The Stand, you ask? Well, you came to the right place to find out.

The Diamond Age
This sci-fi book by Neal Stephenson was equal parts great, slow, boring, compelling, imaginative, random, and rewarding. It was a harder read that I'm used to, but I enjoyed it. It tells the story of a little girl, Nell, and how she is educated by an interactive book, The Young Lady's Illustrated Primer. Stephenson gets lost in his detailed descriptions of the future world he depicts easily and frequently, but perseverance is a virtue, and I did enjoy the book.

Moving Pictures
This time, Terry Pratchett makes fun of moviemaking when a group of alchemists creates "moving pictures", thus inventing cinema. It is imaginative and wacky and absolutely hilarious, and I absolutely recommend it to everyone. Also, it is one of the series' standalone books, so you really don't need to have read any other DiscWorld novels to enjoy this one. In fact, this is the book in which Ridcully becomes Archchancellor of Unseen University, and Lord Vetinari's personality is barely fleshed out. This last aspect was quite strange, since I've gotten to love Vetinari and how devious and calculating Ankh-Morpork's Patrician really is. Seeing him like this, before becoming who he is, was like watching an episode from the first season of Buffy now: you recognize the character, but he is not the character he will become. Anyway, a fun, fun read!

Empire of Ivory
I already talked at length about the wonderful fourth book in the Temeraire series here, so go and revisit my rave review.

The Walking Dead, vol. 1: Days Gone Bye
The Walking Dead, vol. 2: Miles Behind Us
The Walking Dead, vol. 3: Safety Behind Bars
The Walking Dead, vol. 4: The Heart’s Desire
A friend let me borrow the first four TPBs of Robert Kirkman's famous zombie series, and I gotta say it lived up to the hype. The story follows a cop who wakes from a coma to discover the whole world has been ravaged by zombies. From there, he starts meeting survivors, and we witness their struggle to survive and get along while creating a new civilization. Oh, and there're lots of zombies being killed every now and then. The story is engrossing, the characters masterfully built, and the dialogue is exquisite. There is, however, a reason why I had never given the series a try before: the artwork really makes my eyes bleed. Amazing story, appalling pictures. I still recommend it, but I won't be spending any money on it.

Princess Resurrection, vol. 1
I guess the Halloween spirit possessed me, and I went ahead and bought the first volume of the manga known as Princess Resurrection (Monster Princess in its anime incarnation). The series, written and drawn by Yasunori Mitsunaga, tells the story of Princess Hime, who can bring people back from the dead, and who lives with her little and super strong android girl Flandre and her semi-immortal servant Hiro, a teenager who becomes semi-immortal after dying in the first few pages of the book. From here, it's Hime toting around her chainsaw and killing invisible men, werewolves, and other creatures. Sounds bloody and creepy and weird? Well, it's also quite funny!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not bad, Fel. Not a bad month at all.

I want to read more DiscWorld, but I can't seem to find in my own house the second book of the series, which I bought some time ago. Dammit!

So... How many books/TPBs have you read so far?

Mario Alba said...

Well, forget about The Light Fantastic and read Weird Sisters or The Truth. Just an idea...

As of today, November 1st, I've read 48 books (plus the first half of The Stand and more than the first half of The Poe Shadow) and 40 TPBs. I was doing great until July/August, but then I haven't read as much during September and October. I don't think I'll get to 60 by the end of the year, but I'm guessing around 56. We'll see...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hear you, Fel. I know it doesn't seem that way, but I hear you.

It's only that the pickyness in me is pretty unbearable now. I just can't contemplate to not read or watch something without following the due order. I know, I know: with the DiscWorld saga the same rules don't apply. But still. :(

Mario Alba said...

Suit yourself... ;)

Anonymous said...

Yep. As soon as I find that missing book. Which is weird, cause I don't know anyone else here, besides my girlfriend, who'd read it in english. :/

Mario Alba said...

You might wanna ask her, then. Maybe she hid it for a reason...

Anonymous said...

Yeah... maybe... I see where you're going... GMTA again!

PS.- Cause you were thinking that she's a robot, right?

Mario Alba said...

Euh... yes?

Anonymous said...

Well, duh!