Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Gimme More (Books)

I hadn't bought anything from Amazon in a while, but now that I've finished The Stand (and it was about time), I thought it was time to invest in a few new books. This is what I got:
Slayers, vol. 5: The Silver Beast, which continues chronicling the adventures of Lina and Gourry. Fun stuff!
Jingo, yet another DiscWorld novel. At the rate I'm going, I'll end up with all of them!
Devices and Desires, the first book in the so-called Engineer trilogy, that could be either really cool or really bad.
Servant of the Shard, the first book in R.A. Salvatore's The Sellswords trilogy, which a friend recommended on Thursday saying it stars the bad guys of Drizzt's stories instead of the heroes.
His Dark Materials trilogy, since the movie based on the first book, The Golden Compass, is coming out in December (more on that later).
Hopefully, these will be great and I'll be telling you about them soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Way to go, Fel! The Stand is history! ... I expect a post about the subject for next week, BTW.

On regarding your new acquisitions, it seems there are a lot of first books of trilogies going on in your life right now. Good for you.

And, Fel, you'll like to know I started reading Altered Carbon three days ago. I've just passed the 100 pages mark, and still counting. Awesome book. Awesome. :D

Mario Alba said...

I had been toying with the idea of writing a post about The Stand. Now that I know you want it, I guess I'll do it. :)

And yes, I'm very glad to hear that you're reading Altered Carbon and that you're loving it. Jorge read it too, and he also liked it a lot. Let me know how that goes for you!

Anonymous said...

As I said, I don't just want that post. I'm expecting it. 30 pages minimum, double space. ;P

On regarding AC, right now I'm on page 150. And it's just superb.
I'm not sure I'll can keep the rhythm, though. I won't have as much spare time during the next few days. But I've grabbed the book and I'm not letting it go. That must be something.

BTW, I just want to say how fortunate I am to have you as my own readings advisor. I can't remember the last time I read a bok I didn't love. :)

Anonymous said...

And by bok I mean book, it's not that I'm missing the DragonCrown War saga. Well, yes, maybe a little. ;)

Mario Alba said...

Hehehe. You're welcome. It's a good thing we have a similar taste in entertainment. That way, I can be almost sure you'll like what I recommend you.

The third book starring Mr. Kovacs was published recently, but I still haven't read the second one. The second one just came out on mass market paperback (as opposed to trade paperback, the bigger format in which it as originally published), but something weird happened and Amazon says it's not available, and I didn't see it at Barnes & Noble. Maybe in the future...

And regarding The Stand, I just finished writing the post, and even though it's not as long as the book, it is by no means short. You'll get to read it next week :)

Anonymous said...

Approaching the 250th page, now. And tomorrow I got a day off. :D

Will you be Messenger-available, Fel?

Mario Alba said...

Tomorrow? I can sign in if you want me to. I'll be online at around 4:00PM here (10:00PM there). Looking forward to chatting with ya!

Y lee, lee!