Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Monday, April 09, 2007

Exponentially Prefixy

Issue #2 of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer’s so-called Season 8 comic series came out last Wednesday, and I’m still digesting it.
I really liked the first issue, but I was so spoiled when I did finally read it, that all the big surprises, all the big plot twists, I knew they were coming from far behind. This second issue, however, I enjoyed it all virginally and stuff. Maybe it’s been because of that that I’ve loved it so much.
Joss Whedon’s writing is, quite frankly, superb. These are his characters, and no one’s better suited than him to make them act, talk and rant. All the dialogs in this issue are completely in character, and they’re delightfully funny. Hilarious some times.
Much unlike in the first issue (if my first spoiled appreciation of it was correct enough), now the plot moves forward at a frenetic rhythm and the plot twists follow one another with incredible fluidity and surprisability. I don’t want to praise Joss Whedon much more, because this our blog is called Sunny Jhanna, and not Sunny Josshanna, as it could seem of lately. Anyway, it’s inevitable doing it one more time again. Mr. Whedon is one of the best storytellers right now over the face of the earth, and this comic proves it. But it well may be that I’m pretty biased because of one surprising plot twist in particular that pleases me to no end. And then there’s that potential Finn5fel’s Decaying #1 homage too.
On regarding the pretty pictures, I must admit that, to my humble-and-not-very-keen taste, not a lot of them are indeed pretty. There are a bunch of really good drawings, or at least a bunch that I really find are excellent ones. But there are also some of them that I can’t stand watching directly to. Anyway, I’m really confidant in the artist, Georges Jeanty, and I’m sure his drawings will get better and better as he gets the feeling of all the characters. I like his style, and he manages to capture perfectly the dynamics of what’s happening in each frame. And I still love Jo Chen’s cover for this issue, Xander looking cooler than ever and all.
If you liked the TV show, this comics are a must for you. And if you’ve never seen it, go buying or renting the DVDs. And only then come back to read the comic. Believe me. Best expended money ever.

Verdict:
Story: 5/5
Drawings: 3/5

9 comments:

Mario Alba said...

I'm glad you liked it so very much! AS I said, I'm not planning on reading it any time soon, but you never know. At least, it's good to know the story is picking up. And I agree with you in one thing: that cover is incredible. I wish the cover artist also did the interiors...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the story is picking up. I can't stop reading it right now. And I'll have to wait a whole month to know how it will continue. It's like torture, this comics thing. How can you bear it?

Mario Alba said...

Hehehe. Two tricks: only get 4-issue limited series, or wait for the trade.

See? That's the problem with the industry nowadays. "Monthly" titles aren't monthly anymore, and keep being delayed week after week. By the time one issue comes out, you don't remember what happened first. You might even forget to buy it!

Anonymous said...

Well, with such a long run of Buffy's season 8, I'm as sure as hell not waiting for the Omnibus.

And, hey, if you forget to buy one title, maybe it wasn't that good after all. But, well, I'd understand it, if a whole straight year has passed between numbers, as sometimes has been the case.

Mario Alba said...

Like Wildsiderz, for instance. Shame on you, Mr. Campbell! Shame on YOU!

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I knew you were gonna say that.

Shame on him.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. I'm as predictable as he is shameless ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, at least your predictability is not f*@´^# up two hundred thousand comic readers.

Mario Alba said...

True.