Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Super Surprise

As of lately I haven’t seen a lot of movies. Or, actually, I haven’t done much of anything. Anyway, yesterday I couldn’t sleep, so I resolved to get up, watch a DVD, and check if the sleeping power of my sofa was as strong as always.
I still hadn’t seen My Super Ex-Girlfriend, and that really was a movie I imagined myself dozing out with, so I decided to give it a try. But, oh surprise! Instead of what I had expected, I really liked it.
It is a stupid comedy flick, no doubt about that, but it totally works, and I kinda laughed a lot. Not only did I liked the movie, but it was really difficult for me to go to sleep after it. Even at half past three in the night.
The film has three or four really brilliant comedy moments, and I even liked the shark sequence, that I had despised so much when I saw the trailer. And, in my honest opinion, the whole cast does a superb job with their characters. Especially Luke Wilson who I never even thought could be such a good actor as this movie shows he indeed is. Uma Thurman plays more than acceptably her role of the not-so-slightly demented Jenny Johnson/G-Girl (G for what?). And while Rainn Wilson’s character is hilarious, Anna Faris, who I first saw playing Monica and Chandler’s womb for rent in Friends’ last season, portrays perfectly her "I’m a hottie but also a regular sort of girl" role.
A surprisingly good movie, much in the way of Bruce Almighty. Don’t ask Ivan Reitman for a moving and meaningful film, because that will never be his thing. But what he knows how to do, he still does magnificiently.

11 comments:

Mario Alba said...

Looks like we agree, my dear Hal. I went to see My Super ExGirlfriend when it opened last year, thinking it was going to be horrible. And, as it turned out, it only wasn't bad, but it was actually good! (Kind of like TMNT.) I laughed a lot (just like you), and I also thought everybody did a good job, especially Luke Wilson and Anna Faris. And yeah: Rainn Wilson is hilarious!

A movie that, while being nothing special or revolutionary, is just plaine fun to watch!

Anonymous said...

You've said it. Just plain fun to watch. That's all I'm asking of a movie like this.

Again GMTA. We're sort of repulsive.

Mario Alba said...

Yeah, we're disgusting. But hey, GMTA. Or GDMTA (The D stands for Disgusting, of course).

"Sociedad de admiración mutua", hahaha.

Anonymous said...

BTW, I've never heard the GMTA expression except for when you've said it. Are you sure it's real? Or maybe it is a subproduct of your conscious ego trying to compensate some lost self-achieve dignity in the form of an acronym?

I'll answer myself: Huh? What?

Mario Alba said...

Hahahaha. No, I didn't make it up. It does exist outside of my deranged brain. For example, Kevin Smith uses it in one of his stories in "An Evening with Kevin Smith", when he compares himself to Tim Burton (long story).

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a humble man! Just like us!

BTW, the KS's Evenings videos look really cool. I love to hear the DVD commentaries of the movies or TV shows. There's so much to be learned.

Mario Alba said...

The 2 Evening with Kevin Smith DVDs are just fantasticÑ you´ll be laughing non'stop for four hours each.

And I´m not going to spoil anyhing, but the Tim Burton story is priceless. Smith bashes Burton, TB's Batman, TB's attempt at Superman Reborn, and TB's Planet of the Apes. Not to mention the fact that the "surprise" ending of POTA was exactly like a scene in a comic book Kevin Smith wrote way BEFORE the movie. That's why he says GMTA.

Anonymous said...

You mean, what he's really saying is GMSA (S stands for Steal, of course).

I love Burton's works (well, not POTA, obviously), so I'm not that pleased with Mr. Smith right now. Anyway, I'd love to see those DVDs. I'm visiting Amazon one of these days, because getting them here in Spain... not that easy, people.

Mario Alba said...

True. You should get them. What Smith says is not that Tim Burton stole the idea from him, but that it was a fucked-up coincidence (hence the famous GMTA). There was an article in a newspaper with declarations from both Burton and Smith. It really is interesting.

Anonymous said...

Sounds good enough for me. I'm buying them one of these days. Period.

Mario Alba said...

Definitely worth your money.