Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

It's No Wonder...

A movie about books and authors. About characters and narrative. Throw in some comedy, some romance, and some absurd situations. It's no wonder I liked it. Stranger Than Fiction tells the story of Harold Crick (the ubiquitous Will Ferrell), a normal guy that, one fine day, realizes he can hear a voice narrating his whole life. What he does, what he thinks, how he feels: the narrative voice knows everything, and it's always right, down to the most minute detail. So, of course, when the voice says something like "Little did he know he was about to die", poor Harold freaks out. And with good reason. But that's all I'm gonna say.
The premise is really interesting, and I really enjoyed the movie. It's a shame the preview is way more revealing than my little paragraph (don't you hate it when they do that?), so, if you're interested in the movie, do not watch the preview.
The four main characters, played by Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Dustin Hoffman are well fleshed out, and beautifully acted. The story is quirky but fun and entertaining, and you find yourself feeling for all of them for different reasons. In short: both the characters and the story are (long time no see) compelling, intriguing, and interesting. So go ahead, watch the movie, and thank me later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another movie that looks good and I'll probably watch in no less than two years. The thing of being not-wealthy. :(

Mario Alba said...

Hahahaha. I hope you like it when you get to see it: you can always get it on DVD. And talking about DVDs, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 comes out on Tuesday! YAY!

Anonymous said...

Aren't you going to wait for the DVD release of the trilogy, some time in 2008? Weren't you going to save your money to pay your car bills? You've got no shame. ;P

Mario Alba said...

It's true: I've got no shame. But since I already have the first movie, waiting for the pack would mean I'd end up with the first movie twice. So I guess I'll just go ahead and get it on Tuesday :)

Anonymous said...

You're right, of course. But no one said you couldn't wait to get the Pirates 2 songle edition on DVD. Did anyone?

Mario Alba said...

[He smiles innocently]