Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Uncanny X-Men #522

This issue packed a big surprise: Whilce Portacio drew it. I used to love his old X-Men and X-Factor issues, and I followed his creator-owned Wetworks for as long as he drew it. Then, a couple of years ago, I bought his relaunch of the series, and I remain a fan of the Filipino artist. This issue, however, didn't feel a lot like Portacio, and I wonder if it was because of the inks. Portacio is known for using lots of black masses and shadows, but these pages were more linework than blacks, and it just didn't feel right. Still, I really liked his Nightcrawler, and his artwork was a breath of fresh air after a couple of Land-drawn issues. As for the story, suffice it to say that unexpected events are unfolding, and I'm curious to see what happens next. And, needless to say, if whatever happens is illustrated by Terry Dodson, all the better!

4 comments:

Nash said...

Tiene un estilo muy particular Portacio, ya lo demostró en wetworks, muy oscuro y su estilo con lineas muy rectas yo creo que o te gusta o no, pero que no tiene termino medio.

Mario Alba said...

Estoy de acuerdo. También siempre me ha resultado muy curioso cómo combina las masas negras con espacios vacíos en las páginas. La forma que tiene de hacer las viñetas y diseñar las páginas me parece muy interesante, aunque a veces cansa un poquillo. Un gran artista, de todas formas!

Nash said...

Yo creo que lo del negro y el vacio lo hace por que no le gusta dibujar fondos.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Es posible :)