Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Of Princes and Daggers

We have talked about expectations several times, but allow me to bring that up one more time. After seeing the Prince of Persia trailer several times, my girlfriend and I thought it was going to be an awesome movie. Then we read the reviews before going to see it, and she said she was going to bring a book so that she could read when the movie bored her out of her mind. I remained optimistic, hoping the film would be fantastic. Well, as I'm sure you have already gathered, our impressions fall somewhere in the middle of those extremes: she thought it was better than she was expecting, and I wished it had been better.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time was entertaining and little else. There were good things, such as Jake Gyllenhaal's performance, the occasional somewhat witty banter between the Prince and Tamina (Gemma Arterton), and Alfred Molina's comic turn as Sheik Amar, but there were also plenty of bad things, such as clunky exposition and pandering to the audience. Also, director Mike Newell overuses slow-mo and fast-forward montages to, I guess, infuse the movie with some kind of style, or to make it more epic or dramatic. In any case, it doesn't work, and the end result is, in my opinion, pointless and pathetic.

A criticism about the movie I read several times was that PoP had no plot, but I disagree. It's true that it wasn't the cleverest, most convoluted or complex story ever told, but it did have a plot that worked for the most part. Was it predictable and full of not-so-surprising turns of events? Definitely, but the story was there.

To sum it up, Prince of Persia was entertaining, but I doubt I'll ever want to watch it again, let alone buy it on DVD. As for any potential sequels, we'll see how much money this one makes. Apparently, it placed third on its opening weekend, grossing only $30 million, which I'm sure the studios must have found disappointing after a reported $200 million budget. Unless the international box office compensates for its dismal opening numbers, I think the Sands of Time will be the first and last adventure of Prince Dastan on the big screen. Come to think of it, I don't think that would make me sad at all.

4 comments:

Nash said...

Lo primero la crítica, al crítico, has puesto Dastan con minúscula en la última frase, te pille :-)
Lo segundo crítica a la peli.
Como no me esperaba mucho, me lo pase bien viendo la peli, es entretenida sin ninguna pretensión, con unos escenarios y efectos bastante bueno. Lo mejor como dices las frases entre Dastan y la princesa, que por cierto esta realmente bien en la peli, con un poco más de color en la piel y el pelo largo esta chica esta increíble y no tan paliducha como es. Que le falta algo, si, pero es una peli Disney no se puede esperar mucho más.

Mario Alba said...

¿Dónde he puesto Dastan con minúscula? Por más que miro, no lo veo...

Con respecto a que es una "peli Disney" y que por eso no se puede esperar mucho más, no estoy de acuerdo. Las dos primeras Pirates of the Caribbean son extraordinarias, y las distribuye Disney.

Finalmente, Gemma Arterton está mejor aquí que en Crap of the Titans: de eso no cabe duda!

Nash said...

Has editado el post, el último Dastan lo habias puesto en minusculas, estoy seguro al 98% ya que me acababa de levantar y estaba un poco espeso pero no tanto.
Piratas del caribe es un coñazo soberano y le sobran 45 minutos. Y para mi esta al mismo nivel que esta peli.

Mario Alba said...

Te aseguro que no he editado nada, así que lo debes de haber soñado :)

Comparar Pirates con Prince es una blasfemia, que lo sepas. Mira que no gustarte las buenas películas...