Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Watching the Watchmen

First things first: I’ve never read Watchmen. I understand its importance, why it was a milestone, and how it changed the medium forever. I get it, I really do. And I’m sure it’s a terrific read, but I just don’t like the artwork. (You can send all the hate mail now.) Therefore, I’ve never really been interested in reading Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon’s classic. So sue me. Still, the movie looked very interesting, so I went to The Rave on Friday night, ready to see if Malin Akerman would also be naked in this movie. (She was.) And I liked it.

I like the alternate reality the movie presents: the darkness, the despair. I like the ideas in the movie, the ambiguity, all the gray areas the “heroes” move in. Can they truly be called heroes? Aren’t they (to use one of the nouns from the film) sociopaths? And who keeps them at bay? Who watches the Watchmen?

I won’t reveal anything regarding plot or characters, but I found the story interesting and the characters well-defined and nicely portrayed (Rorschach was my favorite). The special effects were cool, and Dr. Manhattan looked terrific. (So did the Silk Spectre, but for different reasons.) The action scenes are few and far between, but they are depicted with such attention to each horrifying detail, and with such brutality that I found them captivating. The movie is two hours and forty-five minutes long, but I was always entertained, never bored or wondering what it was all about. Plus, there are some really cool lines. My favorite: "I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me." Priceless.

Still, I found director Zack Snyder’s previous movie 300 much more enjoyable, and I think the reason why this is so is the characters. The Spartans in 300 are (and you knew this was coming) way more compelling than the superheroes in Watchmen. And it’s not just a matter of Leonidas and his buddies clearly being the good guys in contrast with the grayer, more dubious vigilantes in Watchmen. I was invested in the Spartan fight against the conqueror. I loved those characters and wanted to spend more time with them. In Watchmen, the characters are cool, but just like Dr. Manhattan says, I had no stake in the story. It was fun and entertaining, but I wasn’t dying to see what happened next, rooting for them to save the day. But I think the movie, as a whole, works quite well and manages to achieve everything it sets to accomplish. I think you’ll like it if you’re even minimally interested in some of the themes, but I doubt it will blow your mind or set a standard for superhero movies. I think that was The Dark Knight last year.

11 comments:

Nash said...

Buenos pues este fin de semana en principio tenia pensado ir a verla con mi hermano si es que me dan las horas, que cada vez que bajo a Alicante me pasa lo mismo quiero hacer mas cosas de las horas que tiene el dia. La tipa que sale desnuda es la "morena" buenorra de la foto, si es asi ire seguro.
Ya comentare la peli cuando la vea y compararemos puntos de vista.

alberto said...

Siento decepcionarte Nash, pero la morena buenorra lleva peluca. Es rubia rubia como buena sueca. Reconócelo, en el fondo las rubias molan más... jejeje.

Finn, I think the gray areas in human behaviour are the point of the film (as well as the comic). More on that later. I'm in the middle of an exam.

alberto said...

OK, releyendo lo que has escrito, ya veo lo que querías decir. Y sí, la peli no pasará a la historia como el patrón de las películas de superhéroes. Con todo, dudo que esa fuera la intención del director, o de los autores del cómic. Más bien lo contrario; la humanización de personajes tradicionalmente sobrehumanos.

Aunque creo que en definitiva estamos de acuerdo en que es una buena adaptación (a pesar de que no hayas leído el cómic - vergüencita debiera darte, btw, jejeje).

Mario Alba said...

Excelentes observaciones, Alberto: Malin Akerman es suecaza rubiaza, a la que ya tuve ocasión de ver en toda su gloria en The Heartbreak Kid.

Con respecto a la película en sí, pues eso: que no me molesta que se humanice a los superhéroes o que algunos de ellos sean unos sociópatas ultraviolentos y no sean "cien por cien heroicos". De hecho, creo que están muy bien retratados, y es una perspectiva interesante. Simplemente, sus vidas, historia y conflicto no me resultaron tan compelling o appealing como las de 300.

Pero sí: la peli mola, sin ser un peliculón. Y mi amigo Mike tiene el cómic, así que lo leeré pronto para dejar de pasar vergüenza ;)

Dr. Banting said...

¿Quien osa hablar de comics y no ha leido Watchmen?

¿Quien tiene los santos cojones de decir que Gibbons no dibuja bien?

ANATEMA!!!

Mario Alba said...

Hahahahaha. ¿Qué puedo decir? ¿Lo siento? De todas formas, no, no me gusta cómo dibuja Gibbons. Eso no quiere decir que lo haga mal (evidentemente, estoy en la minoría), pero no me gusta, qué le voy a hacer.

Anonymous said...

Bueh, pues nada, habrá que leerse la obra maestra por antonomasia de la historia del cómic. Que mira que me da pereza.

En cuanto a la película, desde luego no iré a verla al cine. Casi tres horas sin preocuparme por los personajes, así a priori, me suenan a una eternidad.

Mario Alba said...

La obra maestra, hahaha. Voy a dejar de hacer comentarios, que todos sabemos que el raro soy yo...

Nash said...

Si ya se que es rubia, pero a que esta mejor de morena...

Mario Alba said...

No. Está mejor de rubia ;)

Anonymous said...

¿Leches va a estar mejor de morena, con ese pelucón que lleva?