Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Unborn

My return to the movie theater after an over-a-month-long absence could have been more memorable, truth be told. But I chose to see The Unborn, and so it wasn't.

The Unborn, written and directed by David S. Goyer, is one of those scary movies that don't really scare you. Or thrill you. Or make you care. Actually, I should have remembered the last movie written and directed by Goyer that I saw was The Invisible, and that movie wasn't exactly amazing. At the very least, The Unborn is entertaining, especially during the first half. Superhot Casey Beldon (played by Odette Yustman) is trying to figure out what her visions and nightmares mean, and this part of the film is kind of unsettling. You don't know what's going on (unless you've seen the preview, of course), and the story takes its time unfolding through a variety of strange scenes that display some neat visuals and cool ideas. That part was fun. However, as soon as Casey figures out what is happening (is she going crazy? Is some spooky ghost actually trying to get her?), the movie takes a turn for the worse, and everything becomes rather silly, derivative, and spectacularly unoriginal.

So save your money, dear reader, and skip this movie. Maybe one of the other horror movies now playing will be better. (Dare I going to see The Uninvited? Dare I?) As for The Unborn, what can I say? It wasn't bad enough to make me angry, but I doubt this is the best the genre has to offer this year. And if it is, well, then I will be scared.

8 comments:

alberto said...

Two things:
1. Yes, the chick is smoking hot.
2. The three movies you talk about have a negative prefix, in-visible, un-born, un-invited. How un-original (a la par que un-watchable).

Mario Alba said...

HAHAHAHA!

Agudísima observación, querido Alberto. Eso explica muchas cosas :)

And I think she looks even better in the movie than in the picture. I just couldn't find one that did her justice :)

Anonymous said...

Man, must she look hotter than lava in The Unborn then. 'Cos in the picture... good lord!

Even so, not planning on watching that movie soon.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. She is hot, no question about it. Just look up her "panty scenes" online, and you'll see the best parts of the movie ;)

Anonymous said...

Too bad I couldn't find them. :(

Anyway, I've learned that she's fluent in spanish. That must mean something...

Mario Alba said...

Hot and smart. Damn!

Anonymous said...

Well, thing is, it seems like spanish is her first language, her mother being from Cuba and all. So we're back to square one on regarding her IQ level. But, hey, as soon as she doesn't prove otherwise I'm going along with the hot and smart theory.

Mario Alba said...

Hahahaha. I'll go with it too until she proves otherwise.