Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Monday, December 01, 2008

Reading List: November

It looks like I’ve been focusing on books rather than comic books this cold month, but I still managed to keep some variety in my reading. Let’s see what I feasted my eyes and brain on in November:

The Cabinet of Curiosities
A terrific read by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, The Cabinet of Curiosities is the third book in which FBI Special Agent Pendergast makes an appearance, this time commanding the stage and becoming the main character (or one of them). I had already read Brimstone, Dance of Death, and The Book of the Dead, so I knew there were certain characters that were not going to die, as these books take place after Cabinet, but the suspense and the questions and the mystery were still there for the most part. A great way to start the month!

Sourcery
One of the earlier Discworld books, Sourcery stars Rincewind once again running from everything. I usually say that the earlier books by Terry Pratchett are certainly weaker than later installments in the series, and this book is a perfect example of that. Sourcery was okay, but it was nothing to write home about, so I hereby encourage people who want to get started with the Discworld books to not feel they need to start from the very beginning. Choose a “thread” (witches, the Watch, wizards, Death, “the industrial revolution”) and read those books first. Sourcery gets a two out of five.

Just After Sunset
The latest book by Stephen King (Scribner has already announced that Under the Dome will come out next fall), I already told you how much I enjoyed these short stories here.

The Divine Comedy I: Hell
Dante’s classic poem and all that. Yawn.

Nightmare Inspector, vol. I
I saw the fourth volume of this series by Shin Mashiba at Books-a-Million, and decided to give it a try. It’s about a creature that eats people’s nightmares so they can sleep at night, but the intriguing horror/mystery premise didn’t quite crystallized into a good read. I doubt I’ll buy volume two.

Empowered, vol. 4
The fourth volume narrating the adventures of Emp, Thugboy, and Ninjette, I already told you how amazing this book by Adam Warren is here. A serious contender (in my eyes) to best graphic novel of the year!

6 comments:

Nash said...

Siempre me han gustado mucho los libros de Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, son muy dinamicos y entretenidos y aunque algo tramposos normalmente me lo paso muy bien leyendolos.
Del amigo de mundo disco no dire nada para no herir sensibilidades. Por cierto han sacado unas miniaturas de los personajes principales para pintar.
Lo que no entiendo es como te has podido leer la divina comedia, menudo toston.

Mario Alba said...

Sí. De Preston & Child ya me leí en su día Riptide, fantásticamente llamado en España El pozo de la muerte, que no está mal. La "trilogía de Diógenes" (Brimstone y los otros dos) está pero que muy bien, y Cabinet también está muy bien. De hecho, tengo en mi estantería de libros por leer Thunderhead, otro librito de la pareja que tiene buena pinta.

Y de La divina comedia sólo he leído la primera parte, el Infierno, y porque tenía curiosidad. Pero vamos, que una lectura entretenida no es que sea, hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Ya hablaré del libraco de Dante cuando lo lea algún día. Pero vamos, jeje, ya tenía claro que no lo habían escrito los hermanos Farrelly.

Por cierto, Fel, doy por hecho que en tu crítica de Sourcery donde escribes:
"I hereby encourage people who want to get started with the Discworld books to not feel they need to start from the very beginning",
la parte en negrita habría que interpretarla como Halagan.

Jeje, me hago cargo. Prometido que pronto me leo Wyrd Sisters.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Cómo nos conocemos. A puntito estuve de escribir "Halagan" en vez de lo que citas, de verdad. Y lo mantengo!

Y, por cierto (y por nada en especial), necesito que me recuerdes de nuevo qué libros de Discworld tienes, porfa.

Anonymous said...

Jejeje. Está bien, te refrescaré la memoria en breve.

La verdad es que tengo ganas de ver si es verdad que las cosas mejoran tras The Color of Magic.

Mario Alba said...

Pruebas, no promesas :)