Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reading List: December

To compensate for last month's paucity, I have managed to read twelve (12!) books this month, bringing my total count this year to 63 books and 62 graphic novels or trade paperbacks or whatever you want to call them. 63 books is only a little bit over half of what Stephen King read this year (100 books), but it is my personal best since I started keeping track of what I read in 2001 (2005 held the record with 62 books, but not anymore). And now that you've had more than enough useless statistics, this is what I read in December:

Kushiel’s Dart
A disappointing novel by Jacqueline Carey, I already told you about it here.

What-the-Dickens
A somewhat entertaining story by Gregory Maguire, I already told you about it here.

Gears of War
The first graphic novel I read this month, this trade collects issues 1-6 of the regular series, and I have to say I was not very impressed. The story by Joshua Ortega, who wrote the second game, is not very interesting, and the artwork by Liam Sharp left me indifferent. The characters do talk like they do in the game, but other than that, the games are much more entertaining than this comic book.

Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star
A terrific book by Brandon Mull, I already told you how great it is here.

The Grand Tour
Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer join forces again in this utterly forgettable follow up to Sorcery and Cecelia, a book I haven't read, and that, given how little I enjoyed TGT, I never will. I just didn't care about the characters or the story, and even though I have a feeling I should have found the story fun and entertaining, I did not.

The Infernal City
A compelling novel by the great Greg Keyes, I already told you about it here.

Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague
An amazingly fun yarn, I already told you how awesome it is here.

Puff, the Magic Dragon
Where the Wild Things Are
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
I read these three classic children's books because all my girls were making fun of me for not being familiar with the stories. Plus, they were a great way to beef up this list. I know, I know --I'm shameless.

Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary
Have I told you already how awesome this series is? I think I might have, but I'm not really sure. At any rate, the last book comes out in March, and I can't wait to get it!

Lo que no vengo a decir
The latest collection of articles by the wise Javier Marías, Lo que no vengo a decir is a great read, both because of what he says and because how he says it. I love the way he writes, and I usually find myself agreeing with what he is saying. If you've never read anything by the Spanish author, you're certainly missing out.

Off Season
A bloody tale of death and cannibalism by Jack Ketchum, Off Season was gruesome fun, and definitely not for the weak of stomach.

Deadpool: Secret Invasion
The second graphic novel I read this month, I bought it because I like Deadpool, and because the artwork by Paco Medina looked amazing. It was a fun read, and beautiful to look at, yet I don't know that I'll continue buying the series. We'll see...

Nightmare World
In this first volume, Thirteen Tales of Terror, Dirk Manning and a variety of artists tell, well, thirteen tales of terror. There wasn't any story I didn't like, and the artwork was acceptable in most of them. (The cover illustration is still my favorite, though.) All in all, it was a fun read, and I will probably get the second volume when it comes out.

So that's it for 2009. Here's to another sixty books next year!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Te pasaste, macho. Doce libros en un mes. De lo que eres capaz cuando hay un record en juego.

Mario Alba said...

Ya te digo yo que este año no estaré siquiera cerca de repetirlo. Pero sí: doce libros en un mes. Lo que algunas personas leen en tres años, hahaha.

Nash said...

Es una media de dos dias por libro, menuda salvajada, no hay tiempo.

Mario Alba said...

Tiempo libre es lo que tuve en diciembre :)