Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Parallel Lives

I know Sliding Doors came out 11 years ago, but I had never seen it before. It was one of those movies I had always been interested in but never gotten a chance to see until Netflix came into my life, and while the movie was by no means great, I did enjoy it quite a bit.

In the first ten minutes of the film, Helen (Gwyneth Paltrow) is fired and goes to the metro station to catch the subway back home. She misses the train, and then we see her running downstairs again and catching it. That's where the narrative splits and, from then on, we follow Helen in two different lives: the one in which she catches the train and gets home early to find her boyfriend up to something he shouldn't be doing, and the one where she doesn't catch him read-handed. Both lives are very different and at the same time very similar, and they intersect at various points throughout the film.

Like I said, I liked the premise and I enjoyed the movie, and not only because Gwyneth Paltrow is super cute (but way too thin). It put a nice spin on the tired romantic dramedy genre, and at 99 minutes, it was lean and to the point, and it never overstayed its welcome. So check it out, and let us know what you think!

2 comments:

Nash said...

La peli no la he visto pero siempre me llamo mucho la atención la idea, intentare verla.

Mario Alba said...

Pues ya nos dirás qué te parece si la acabas viendo. Yo acabo de ver Gone Baby Gone en DVD, y me ha encantado. Crítica pronto!