Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Seriously Sibilant Susurri

The Wench With a Million Sighs is the first Empowered book to be released as a floppy instead of a big, meaty OGN. According to Adam Warren, the material in this comic book will not be collected in volume 6 (coming out next year) but 7 (out sometime in 2011), but even if it was to be part of volume 6, I would have still bought it to support him. The reason? Empowered is laugh-out-loud funny. You know how you always read reviews saying a particular book or author is so funny you will laugh out loud when you read it in public and people will look at you funny? Well, that never happens to me (except for being looked at funny; that does happen, but for entirely different reasons), no matter how much I am assured and guaranteed I will laugh out loud, either in public or at home. I might laugh once or twice, and chuckle a few more times, but that's it. David Sedaris doesn't make me laugh out loud as much as he apparently does other people. Same with Dave Barry. Bill Bryson and Terry Pratchett get better results, yet not as often as I would expect based on other people's comments. But Adam Warren does. His art is beautiful, but his writing is insanely good. When I say the dialogue (or maybe I should say different monologues) in this book made me laugh out loud, I am not exaggerating. The Caged Demonwolf's alliterative combos are so audacious, so ludicrous, so wildly imaginative, and so spectacularly literate and nonsensical at the same time that I actually read them out loud for maximum effect. How can you not (a) laugh out loud; and (b) read it out loud, when you come across a passage such as this one: "But nary a pusillanimous primate populating this pitifully puny planet can sigh up a storm as awe-inducingly as the Alpha Wench!" That's a six-word alliterative combo, and it's not even close to being the longest or the funniest in the book. Sure, you could say that people don't talk like that, and they don't (even though maybe they should). But the Caged Demonwolf is not a person! He's the Scourge of the Spaceways, the All-knowing Autarch, the Eagled-Eyed Erlking, the Salacious Starspawn! He is Adam Warren's genius at work, and that's why you should buy this book and the previous five Empowered volumes available right now. Go get them!

No comments: