Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Friday, December 18, 2009

The End of the World

I only let two issues of the World of Warcraft comic book series pile up after my last WoW marathon, and it turns out this was the right thing to do. Issues 24 and 25 wrap up the second arc in the series with lots of fighting and little else, something you guys know I'm not particularly fond of. What I didn't know is that #25 was supposed to be the last one before the series changes its title to World of Warcraft: Alliance and goes in a "bold new direction". According to the ad in the book, we are going to have two WoW series starting next month. The first one, WoW: Horde, will start with a #1 issue, and the second one, WoW: Alliance, will start with issue 26, hence the "bold new direction" we are promised. So what am I supposed to do? I have been reading the series because I liked what Walter and Louise Simonson were doing, and the art by Mike Bowden really grew on me and I was enjoying it a lot. (He reminded me more and more of Joe Madureira, which is always a good thing.) Starting with issue 26 though, Mike Costa will be writing the series, and Neil Googe will be illustrating it. Also, there seem to be new main characters and a completely different story line.

Regardless of how this new arc turns out to be, #25 felt a little bit rushed. On the one hand, the fight seemed to drag on and on, but on the other hand, once the bad guy was dead, there were barely two pages devoted to the fate of all the main characters, and then it was over. I wish they had either had a shorter fight or a longer epilogue, because it really felt like they had run out of pages and the story had to be wrapped up no matter what. Would have hurt WildStorm to add a couple of pages to the book? They're already charging $3.99 per issue as it is, so I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

I guess I should count myself lucky I got closure, and that I happened to read this issue immediately after buying it, because this does feel like the right place to drop the series. The next story arc might be very good, but I don't think I'm interested, at least not right now. Maybe I'll get the trade whenever it comes out, or maybe I won't, but I think my tour of Azeroth has come to a end.

9 comments:

Nash said...

El tipo dorado y con le pelo morado no salia en wetworks???

Mario Alba said...

Hahahaha! No es dorado, es verde-amarillento.

Nash said...

Verde amarillento, curioso color de pelo para un héroe.

Mario Alba said...

Es un orco, o semiorco, si mal no recuerdo.

Anonymous said...

Pues a mí me parece morado también.

Mario Alba said...

Obviamente, hablaba de su piel, no del pelo.

Anonymous said...

¡Ah!, jeje. Vale.

Por cierto, ¿soy yo o ha cambiado la ilustración que acompaña al post?

Anonymous said...

Jeje. Vale, no. Me he confundido con la de tu post maratoniano, Fel.

Mario Alba said...

Pues eso: que no ha cambiado.