Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Retro Cuteness

Everyone panned Planet 51, but I liked it. I liked the retro sci-fi flavor, even if it didn't make a lot of sense some of the time. I mean, I'll buy that this alien planet is in their fifties, and that their 50s look a lot like the fifties in the United States, sure, but why do they have cutting edge technology that is way ahead of the 50s while, at the same time, they don't seem to be more advanced than the US was in the 50s? They have black and white TVs but flying cars, music on vinyl discs but massive underground secret labs. It's not really consistent.

Other than that, I loved the character designs, and everything in this alien world looked great (and round), from buildings to clothes to cars and movie theaters. It was all very cartoony, and the retro sci-fi flavor I mentioned earlier really worked for me. The voice acting was good too, and even though the animation was not as good as Pixar's, it was still good. (Not the short film they showed before the movie, though --that one was rather on the lame side.)

Something I didn't realize until I read the credits is that this movie was made by a Spanish team. When the credits rolled, I noticed those names were Spanish and, sure enough, a "An Antena 3 production" or coproduction sign showed up, and I was floored. And yet for some reason, the movie opened in the States before it did in Spain. Weird.

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie for what it was, and I think you guys would like it to, so check it out if you have a chance. And did I mention Jessica Biel plays the hot neighbor? Or maybe I just thought she was hot because she was voiced by Jessica Biel. Oh, well...

5 comments:

Nash said...

Yo tenia pensado verla en breve, aquí sabíamos desde hace mucho que esta peli es española los de A3 no paran de recordarlo cada día. Bueno si al final voy a verla ya comentare

Mario Alba said...

Pues ya nos dirás. A mí me pilló completamente por sorpresa lo de Antena 3.

Nash said...

Bueno pues anoche fui a ver la peli y esta entretenida, no es que sea nada del otro mundo pero te ries en algunas ocasiones. Lo mejor los dos perros, lo peor demasiada tipica.
Pero bueno los españoles ya vamos avanzando en eso de la animación, ya no se van todos nuestro talentos a Pixar.

Mario Alba said...

Coincido contigo: entretenida, pero nada del otro mundo. Lo que es curioso, dado que va de extraterrestres, hehehe.

Nash said...

jajajaj, muy bueno fin, muy bueno.