Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Scrooged

I didn't expect A Christmas Carol to blow me away, but I enjoyed it very, very much. This new adaptation of the classic tale by Charles Dickens was written and directed by Robert Zemeckis, and he definitely knows what he is doing. If you're thinking about his previous photorealistic animated Christmas movie, The Polar Express, and understandably shivering and swearing you will not go through that again, I can't blame you. But you are mistaken.

ACC is a feast for the eyes, with arresting visuals, fantastic textures, amazing animation, and incredible likenesses. Jim Carrey, the voice of Scrooge among many other charactes, does a formidable job giving the old miser tremendous personality, depth, and humanity. Other voice talents include Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, and Robin Wright, and they all bring their A game to this movie. And best of all, like I said, is the dark and shadowy look of the movie. Poorly lit rooms that feel gloomy and oppresive, half-crazed ghosts who have been driven insane by death, and ominous coaches steered by nightmarish horses that chase you through damp alleys all combine to create an oppressive atmosphere of despair and poverty, which is why the lights shine even brighter whenever they appear.

I don't particularly care for Christmas-y stories (and I sure didn't make ACC sound like one), but I must say that Zemeckis won me over with this solid movie that I can't help but recommend, so go check it out, and let me know what you think!

6 comments:

Nash said...

Todo el mundo la pone muy bien, asi que me fiare de ti y le daremos una oportunidad aunque como siempre en el doblaje me perdere a los actores originales. Y no me digas que aprende ingles que ya lo intento.

Mario Alba said...

No te lo digo, pues. Pero la peli mola.

Anonymous said...

Jo, pues yo pude ir a verla el otro día, y como que no me apeteció mucho. Supongo que mezclé Polar Express y The Grinch en mi cabeza, y el resultado no me gustó mucho.

Mario Alba said...

The Polar Express todavía me hace temblar cada vez que me acuerdo de ella. Sin embargo, la siguiente película de animación de Zemeckis, Beowulf, me gustó bastante más. Y A Christmas Carol es probablemente la mejor de las tres.

Por cierto, Hal, ¿has visto Beowulf?

Anonymous said...

Sí, hace bastante tiempo. No es que me pareciera sublime, dada la calidad de vídeo en que la ví, pero desde luego no me aburrí nada de nada. Debo reconocer que no recuerdo demasiado de ella. ¿Eso es bueno o malo?

Mario Alba said...

No sé si es bueno o malo, pero yo tampoco recuerdo mucho de la película, aunque en mi caso es normal. Sí recuerdo que me gustó...