Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Creative Process

I went to see This Is It over the weekend, if only to help my box-office predictions come true (very unlikely, seeing it only made $32 million). I did enjoy it, but the two hours it runs for seemed longer than that, and twenty minutes or so before the end I was really ready for the movie to be over.

As we all know by now, This Is It is made out of footage from Michael Jackson's rehearsals last spring, and the scope of the ambitious stage sets, choreography, and projected images is staggering. These concerts would have no doubt been memorable for anyone who attended, and it's a shame Jackson's untimely death prevented this from happening.

This Is It features plenty of songs by Jackson, and I thought it was very interesting to see the rehearsals and to see Jackson giving directions and making sure everything was just right. That was something that surprised me a little, how adamant he was about what he wanted, and how things should be exactly how he envisioned them. He was always polite but firm, and you could see he exerted absolute control over everything. Like one of the musicians says in the film, Jackson knew everything about his music: every beat, every bar, every key, and he wanted it all exactly right. And I find I can't fault him for that. He had a very specific vision and he wouldn't accept anything less than that. Maybe some people would think he was a control freak, and that's what I thought at first. However, when I gave it some more thought, I realized I agreed with him. I wouldn't tolerate anything that didn't meet my standards, so why should he? Then again, maybe I am an AR control freak, who knows…

I think my favorite part of the film was the Thriller movie, with the new makeup and the graveyard, but the Smooth Criminal movie with Rita Hayworth was also very neat. Also, I can't forget the two or three times when guitar player Orianthi was in the spotlight being hot and talented... and surprisingly short. (Very cute, though.)

This Is It is definitely a movie for Jackson fans, and people who didn't care for his music will find little in it to enjoy. I like his music, but I've never been a big fan (as it happens, I only own one song by him), and maybe that's why the movie seemed to drag on for perhaps a little bit too much. Still, I enjoyed it, so if you really loved the King of Pop, This Is It is made for you.

6 comments:

Nash said...

Bueno pues a nadie ha sorprendido, a mi me encantan los documentales de como se hancen las cosas, desde obras de ingeniaria a peliculas, pero no iria al ciene a verlos, me esperare a estrenos e-mule para verlo.
Lo curioso es que un tipo en el metro le comentaba a otro la peli y coincidia contigo en como controlaba todo Michael y que le sorprendio bastante.

Mario Alba said...

Pues ya me dirás que te parece cuando la veas ilegalmente, malvado.

Nash said...

Yo lo hare legal....
No es cuestion de legal o ilegal, no lo veria nunca en un cine asi que en verdad no les estoy perjudicando de ninguna manera.

Mario Alba said...

Claro, claro, porque alquilarla no les beneficiaría...

Nash said...

Cuando digo que no pagaria por ella, esta incluido el alquiler. Las pelis que me gustan si que las compro en edicion especial dos discos etc etc las que me llaman la atención puede que las vea en el cine, pero algunas pelis que sinceramente no me dicen nada las puedo ver por estrenos e-mule. Tambien hay pelis que no he podido ver en el ciene, como tropa de elite, ni se encuentran en videoclubs.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. Lo que tú digas :)