Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Sunday, November 22, 2009

More Drama than Laughs

The only reason I added Catch and Release to my Netflix cue was because Kevin Smith had a big acting part in the movie. It doesn't hurt that the very attractive Jennifer Garner is the female lead, but I confess Smith was the main draw for me. Other than that, I didn't know much about the movie, and maybe that's why I was surprised CAR turned out to be more of a drama than a comedy.

I won't spoil anything for you, but the laughs were few and far between, while the melancholy and the drama permeated the whole movie. I wasn't ready for that, but I still liked the movie enough to watch it in its entirety without being bored or feeling restless.

The funniest thing was that I didn't know where the story was supposed to take place, and early in the movie I saw a street that startled me into recognition. "I've been there!" I exclaimed. "I think." I gave it some thought, and I concluded it looked like Boulder, CO, a suspicion that kept growing as I sighted some Boulder posters and I meditated about the fact that fly fishing was featured somewhat prominently in the film. Then I saw another street, and I was certain that was Boulder because I had absolutely walked down that same street a couple of years ago. This jolt of recognition was really cool, and it made watching the movie a more enjoyable experience.

In the end, I thought CAR was okay, but it is the kind of movie you're not missing much if you don't see. If you're a Kevin Smith fan, though, I would suggest checking it out, if only to see Smith basically play himself and have a good time. Plus, the movie is kind of cute and not too long. With such a stellar review, who could say no?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pues habrá que verla, aunque yo en Boulder como que no he estado. Me ha hecho decidirme ese "kind of cute", para que veas.

Mario Alba said...

Tú mismo... Pero luego no te quejes ;)

Anonymous said...

Prometido.

Mario Alba said...

Ya me dirás, pues.