Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Choices, Choices

A new multiplex opened last Friday in downtown Chattanooga, and I felt it was my duty to go check it out, see whether I approved of the facilities or found them lacking. The Carmike Majestic 12 replaced the old (and crummy) Bijou, and it is as awesome as The Rave. Plus, the fact that it is much closer to my apartment than The Rave makes it even more appealing, and I think I will patron it often in the future. To pop the Majestic's cherry, I chose The Box, and while I liked the movie, I was also strangely dissatisfied.

The Box, written and directed by Richard Kelly, is based on a short story by Richard Matheson named Button, Button. Matheson, whose name you might be familiar with because he also wrote I Am Legend, named his story aptly, seeing as it deals with a mysterious box with an ominous button. If you push the button, somebody you don't know dies, and you get a million dollars in cash, tax free. An enticing deal, right?

I thought the story was interesting, and the movie, even though it's incredibly slow paced, is very suspenseful and intriguing. Both James Marsden and Cameron Diaz do a great job starring as the married couple who has to decide whether to push the pesky button or not, and Frank Langella is super creepy as Mr. Steward.

As the story unfolds, the audience gets more and more pieces of the puzzle, never enough to reveal everything, but always enough so as not to try your patience. And yet, by the time the movie was over, I was left with a meh feeling. I enjoyed most of the film, but the last ten or so minutes I didn't like, and in the end I was left with mixed feelings.

I thought the acting was the best thing in the movie (especially Diaz's southern accent, which was amazingly accurate without being overpowering), but with such an interesting premise and story, I would have thought I'd enjoy the movie better than I did. In the end, I thought it was okay, but I have this weird feeling I should have liked it more than I did. Just like I Am Legend, come to think of it.

9 comments:

Nash said...

Bueno suena interesante pero no lo suficiente para ir a verla al cine y si encima me pierdo lo del acento por culpa del doblaje ya seguro que no voy.

Anonymous said...

El caso es, que Alejandro Casona tiene una obra de teatro que trata presisamente de lo mismo... que sino recuerdo mal es "la barca sin pescador".

Así que, no sé si lo pondrá en los créditos en quien se basa, pero Casona es de mediados del siglo XX, y Richard Matheson.... pues no sé, la verdad.

Carmen

Anonymous said...

Pues habrá que investigar el tema. Según la Wikipedia, Button, Button es de 1970, mientras que Casona escribió La barca sin pescador en 1945. Vamos, que Matheson pudo plagiar a Casona sin problema, pero, en fin, voto por darle el beneficio de la duda.

Pobres los de The Rave como te pierdan, Fel. Pásate de vez en cuando por allí, anda. Procura que no quiebren antes de que pueda ir yo.

Mario Alba said...

Hahaha. No te preocupes, que seguiré visitando The Rave con frecuencia, aunque mira que el nuevo Majestic es tentador, tan cerquita de casa. Habrá que repartirse... Así, cuando vengas, podemos ir a los dos, a ver cuál te gusta más.

Mario Alba said...

Y sobre Casona y Matheson, cabe también la posibilidad de que Matheson desconociera por completo la historia de Casona, o que realmente no se parezcan mucho y mi resumen haya producido una impresión equivocada.

Anonymous said...

La obra de teatro de Casona comienza con una pregunta al lector:
(no es textual, es lo que recuerdo)
¿Qué harías si se te presentase la oportunidad de pedir cualquier cosa sólo pulsando un botón, pero con reacción inmediata de la muerte de un ser humano en la otra punta del planeta, que nunca has conocido, y sabiendo que tu acción quedará impune y que jamás nadie sabrá que lo has hecho tu? ¿lo harías?

Y comienza la obra: se le aparece el diablo al protagonista, hacen el pacto, y bla bla bla... aquí la historia es que los remordimientos le provocan la necesidad de conocer a quien mató... no cuento más, que lo destripo.

No digo que lo hayas expuesto mal finn, sino que quizás el director no sabía de esta otra fuente, porque parecerse, se parecen, creo.

Anonymous said...

Jeje, vaya si se parecen. Y ahora quiero leer la obra de Casona también. ¡Suena de lujo!

Mario Alba said...

Sin duda se parecen, estoy de acuerdo. Lo más probable es que desconociera la obra, pero vete tú a saber...

Mario Alba said...

Y estoy de acuerdo con Hal: suena estupendamente!