Me gusta leer y ver la tele

Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Infuriating Kinsey Millhone

I just finished reading T is for Trespass, perhaps one of the best books in the great series by Sue Grafton. This time, Kinsey is working against a formidably cunning opponent, and she will have to try her hardest to have a happy ending.

At first, I was a little bit skeptic of this book because of the split narrative. Up until R is for Ricochet, Kinsey narrated all her adventures in first person. However, S is for Silence introduced a change in this (for me) cherished tradition, and the Kinsey-narrated chapters alternated with third-person passages in which we witnessed events that Kinsey would later discover. It took me a while to start enjoying S, and I think it was because of this split narrative, so when I saw T had a similar structure, I was worried. However, the book sucked me in right from the start, and I can now say it is one of my favorites in the outstanding series. This time, instead of being flashbacks, the third-person chapters offer a different point of view in Kinsey's investigation --her nemesis's point of view, to be precise. Grafton makes the most out of this literary device, and we get to see Kinsey in a way we've never seen her before: through the eyes of her enemy. Needless to say, the results are hilarious, and I just wanted to keep reading.

Sounds interesting? Well, that's because it is, so if you haven't checked out Kinsey's adventures yet, do yourself a favor and start learning your ABC's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, si al final voy a tener que acabar apuntándome al carro de la Grafton. Porque haces que suene muy bien, Fel.

En fin, me vuelvo a mi estantería de libros por leer, a ver qué me toca.

Mario Alba said...

Es que molan. Aunque no te quiero convencer de nada, hehehe.

Mi estantería de libros por leer ha vuelto a regenerarse y tengo siete esperando a que me termine Kushiel's Dart. En lo que a tus lecturas pendientes se refiere, y para enlazar con la entrada de ayer, sugiero que empieces The Wastelands. Precisamente ayer me acordé de ti porque le presté a un amigo The Drawing of the Three, a ver qué le parece...